Question Orbi Mesh Wifi System Suddenly Laggy

Mywifidoodoohelp

Prominent
Feb 15, 2019
Around 10 months ago i purchased an Orbi mesh wifi system to help strengthen the range of my wifi so i’d stop lagging while playing pc games on the other side of my house. I did this bc i was unable to get a wired connection from my modem to my actual pc.

Up until these recent few days, i was able to play games and get a consistent ping of 30-40 on good days and 50-60 on bad ones. However, recently when i’m in game, my ping will range from 30-80 (which is tolerable when its consistent), but it’ll then frequently spike up to 200-300 and then drop back down, and then repeat the process. Also, i have noticed that on my mobile devices the wifi seems to be slower and things take longer to load in more frequently.

The confusing part is that ookla speedtest and the speed test option in the orbi app both say my ping is 10ms and that my download and upload speeds are around 120mb/s (which is what it should be).I tried connecting my pc to the closest orbi router (not my actual modem) via a cat6 ethernet cable, and this helped maintain the supposed high speeds, but i would still have the frequent lag spikes in game.

I have checked and there is no new software that needs to be updated in my orbi routers, and in command prompt it says my ping is on average 23 ms. I do not know what the issue is or what i can do to find it out or fix it, so please help!! (Also, i am not extremely well-versed in pc/wifi terminology, so please explain as clearly and simply as possible)

Last edited:
These systems are almost impossible to troubleshoot. They give you almost no information on what you are connected to or the path you take.

The likely cause of the problem is one of your neighbors got a new router or put some device that is using the same radio channels and causing interference. When you use mesh systems you do not even have the standard tricks of changing wifi channels because the mesh system is likely using parts of all the channels. This also tends to make mesh or repeaters even more susceptible to interference because you can not avoid your neighbors.

Not sure what to suggest. You likely have options to use 2.4 or 5 maybe one works better than the other.

Anyone that plays games I tend to recommend they use powerline rather than wifi to avoid problems like you are seeing.

Reactions: Mywifidoodoohelp

Mywifidoodoohelp

Prominent
Feb 15, 2019
These systems are almost impossible to troubleshoot. They give you almost no information on what you are connected to or the path you take.

The likely cause of the problem is one of your neighbors got a new router or put some device that is using the same radio channels and causing interference. When you use mesh systems you do not even have the standard tricks of changing wifi channels because the mesh system is likely using parts of all the channels. This also tends to make mesh or repeaters even more susceptible to interference because you can not avoid your neighbors.

Not sure what to suggest. You likely have options to use 2.4 or 5 maybe one works better than the other.

Anyone that plays games I tend to recommend they use powerline rather than wifi to avoid problems like you are seeing.
Back before i got my mesh system i was debating whether to purchase powerline adapters or the orbi system. Do powerline adapters really prevent lag, and if so, would they still be effective if they were 100-200 feet away from each other? Because my router and my pc are on opposite sides of my house so there is a long distance for them to cover...

I doubt you have over 100ft unless you are in another building. Still powerline works in most houses. You want to buy the newer av2 technology.

In general powerline works better than wifi at longer distances. Wifi has issues getting through walls where the wires are run through holes. The reason powerline works better for games is mostly because it can not really be affected by signals from outside your house like wifi. Powerline to a point can have issue with things inside your house but you have full control over that. It is very rare for something to interfere with powerline units. Things like vacuum cleaners tend to be the worst offenders.

Mywifidoodoohelp

Prominent
Feb 15, 2019
I doubt you have over 100ft unless you are in another building. Still powerline works in most houses. You want to buy the newer av2 technology.

In general powerline works better than wifi at longer distances. Wifi has issues getting through walls where the wires are run through holes. The reason powerline works better for games is mostly because it can not really be affected by signals from outside your house like wifi. Powerline to a point can have issue with things inside your house but you have full control over that. It is very rare for something to interfere with powerline units. Things like vacuum cleaners tend to be the worst offenders.
A few weeks have passed since i first started this thread, and my in-game ping is pretty much back to normal (30-60 ping). About a week ago, my orbi routers were glitching out so i restarted my modem and ever since then the wifi has stopped lagging. However, despite not lagging anymore, i feel as though the speeds have degraded. I have at&t wifi so i don't know if it is because of the service provider, or because there is still an issue with my orbis. If you have any suggestions or thoughts please let me know.
Thank you!