[SOLVED] Order of assemblying the PC

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Hi, is it better to assembly the PC in the following order:

1. Install the PSU to the case.
2. Install case fans if there is any.
3. Insert RAM and NVMe SSD to the motherboard.
4. Insert CPU to the motherboard.
5. Install Noctua heatsink mount.
6. Install NH-D15s.
7. Insert GPU (if available at the moment of assembly)
8, Put the big and heavy motherboard wtih all the components installed into the case.

Q1: Is it recommended to update the BIOS when I turn on the machine for the first time? As you know, sometimes updating the BIOS causes troubles.

Q2: Before putting everything into the case, is it better to turn on the components to see if there is any DOA?

Q3: When I made my first PC 20 years ago, I put the motherboard into the case first before inserting the components. These days the heatsink and GPU are so big. Not sure which order of assembly is better.

Solution
Obviously - you install GPU only after motherboard has been placed into enclosure.

Installing CPU cooler depends on enclosure used. If enclosure has cutouts for easy access to underside of motherboard, then you can install custom CPU cooler after motherboard has been placed into enclosure.

You update BIOS only, if it is necessary (if it solves some problem). Keep in mind that failed BIOS upgrade will brick your motherboard.

Yes - you can try turning pc on, before putting everything into enclosure. I usually don't do that.
Obviously - you install GPU only after motherboard has been placed into enclosure.

Installing CPU cooler depends on enclosure used. If enclosure has cutouts for easy access to underside of motherboard, then you can install custom CPU cooler after motherboard has been placed into enclosure.

You update BIOS only, if it is necessary (if it solves some problem). Keep in mind that failed BIOS upgrade will brick your motherboard.

Yes - you can try turning pc on, before putting everything into enclosure. I usually don't do that.

Solution
3 > 4 >2 >5 > 7 > 1 > 6
CPU into MB socket because you can't install cooler parts without it. You need the backplate and its' mount for cooler and that's difficult to do while in the case even when there's an opening for it. Than comes RAM as it may be partially covered by CPU cooler. M'2 can also be installed at same time. Once you have all those in the case you can install PSU and arrange wiring. GPU should be left for last, you cant even install it until MB is in the case anyway. See if you can plug in everything including wiring because GPU can cover a lot of things.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017

I use Dark Base Pro 900 rev 2.

The enclosure has cutouts for easy access to underside of motherboard.

ImageServer.php

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
You could install the mounting bracket for the cpu cooler on the motherboard outside the case,after putting the motherboard in the case install the cooler itself. With Noctua's system is it not necessary to do these right after each other.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

This might happen when changing motherboard,but not just a gpu. Also with windows 10 you can create a microsoft account,link the activation key for windows 10 to it and you should be fine.

modeonoff

Honorable
Jul 16, 2017
Hello, I am making a dual-boot workstation. I plan to install Windows 10 and Linux, one on each NVMe SSD. In this case, which of the following options is better:

1. Insert both SSD into the motherboard and then put the whole thing in the case. Then, install each OS to the corresponding SSD one by one.
2. Insert only one SSD into the motherboard and then put the whole thing in the case. Install one OS. Then, take out the 1st SSD and put in the 2nd SSD. Install the 2nd OS. Then, put the 1st SSD back to the computer.

Also, in each case, which OS do you recommend to install first?