Order of partitions after cloning

ricpaul

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2014
Short version: I am cloning all 4 partitions on a bootdisk to a new disk and I changed the order (1-100MB), (2-16MB), (3-57GB-WINDOWS), (4-1GB-RE-tools) to (1), (2), (4), (3). Is that OK?

Long story:
I cloned an eMMC 64GB disk to a 512GB M.2 SSD using this thread (Aomei backupper software). But I opted to maximise storage space, so I didn't want to let the program waste a lot of it by increasing my RE tools (recovery) partition from 1 to >6GB...

The cloning worked fine, the moving the recovery partition to the end of the disk too, but then the trouble started (code 12 error). The software was unable to extend the Windows partition with the remaining unallocated space.

I then made a bootable USB from within Aomei partition manager software, and the slider let me extend the Windows partition from 57 to 475GB. But as soon as I executed this 'command', it would only increase it from 57 to 58GB (57GB is the original partition on the 64Gb disk, 58GB is the total space on the 64GB disk, I assume this has something to do with it even though I was clearly working on the 512GB disk, proven by the fact the slider would let me increase disksize to 475GB!)

After reading dozens of threads and possible solutions, I found no one running into the exact same problem and thus found no 1-on-1 solution.

So the option I am trying now is to use Macrium Reflect. This lets you resize partitions you are going to clone, but only the last added one. So to maximise storage once again (instead of reserving 1.1GB or so for the restore partition), I had to change the order to first clone the recovery partition and then clone the Windows/boot partition and enlarge that with all remaining harddiskspace.

I am assuming it is not a problem, but the first thread I linked to may have failed to work because of moving a partition instead of taking a simpler route of not insisting it be 'at the end' of the disk.

Edit: Macrium just finished and it says Read: 700Mb/s and Write: 1,0Gb/s during this cloning process! I think that may indicate the SSD is way faster than the eMMC, which is one of the reasons to embark on this journey :)