[SOLVED] Ordered WD Blue 4TB - Got Purple, will it suit my use case?

hubert66

Prominent
Feb 28, 2020
Hello,

I just ordered WD BLUE 4TB (WD40EZRZ), but seller maybe made a mistake and sent me WD PURPLE 4TB (WD40PURZ) - 16 AUG 2019.
My use will be for running virtual machines, games storage, playing games from it, development projects storage (Visual studio etc), video recording to the drive...
My main drive is an SSD.

Now I've done some research and found that it is more suited for WRITES workload and less so for READS.
But I need first-hand or expert opinion on this based on my intended use above.

Also, this Purple model sells for a bit more money where I live than the price I paid for the blue, though this is not important if it won't be enough for my intended use.

What do you think, keep it because it will be fine for my use cases or return it?

Solution
Return it. Purple drives are intended for surveillance use and are poor choices when you rely on the accuracy of the data. And don't ask for this particular Blue either; there's no good reason to be gaming on a 5400 RPM drive. Given the number of different things you want to do with this drive, you should be looking at 7200 RPM, desktop-class drives.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Return it. Purple drives are intended for surveillance use and are poor choices when you rely on the accuracy of the data. And don't ask for this particular Blue either; there's no good reason to be gaming on a 5400 RPM drive. Given the number of different things you want to do with this drive, you should be looking at 7200 RPM, desktop-class drives.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS