Ordering new parts hoping someone will look over my parts and tell me i'm not stupid!

Narcilex

Reputable
Nov 27, 2015
So my computer has been fairly out of date for quite a while, and i've been looking to upgrade since I realized. Finally with the black friday sales I took my chances and ordered some parts! Now the question.... Have I messed up?

1) I've ordered an Asus ASUS Z97-E ATX LGA1150, an overclocked Asus 750ti, and an intel pentium G3258 anniversary addition. Are all these parts compatible? I hope so....

2) Is this setup the respectable upgrade I hope it is? I'm coming from a GTX 750, an FX 4100 and a Asus M5 A97.

3) Will there be any issues in theory that will limit the full use of my components (I plan on overclocking the pentium of course) .

4) Would I be able to handle/benefit from a second overclocked 750ti (price is really quite something) or would that just be a waste of money?

5) Should I purchase an additional third party cooling system if I plan on tasking my processor this heavily? Everything I have right now is stock.

Additional notes:
Ill be running this all off 16GB of ram (and when I get more money potentially 32).

Thanks! Jayden :)

Solution
The G3258 is a dual core chip with no hyperthreading like the i3 has. Some of the games out there won't even play if you don't have a quad core chip, or at least the appearance of a quad core chip like the i3 has. Honestly, I'd seriously consider saving some money for a while longer and going with a lower end i5 Haswell Refresh chip.

Also, you can't use dual 750TI's. They do not support SLI.

Also, the Z97 board is an unnecessary waste of money on the G3258. There are B85, H81 and H97 boards that support overclocking on the G3258 that are much cheaper than any Z97 board will be so unless you plan to use memory over 1600mhz there's no point to the Z97 board, especially since you can't SLI the 750TI so you don't need a board that...
The G3258 is a dual core chip with no hyperthreading like the i3 has. Some of the games out there won't even play if you don't have a quad core chip, or at least the appearance of a quad core chip like the i3 has. Honestly, I'd seriously consider saving some money for a while longer and going with a lower end i5 Haswell Refresh chip.

Also, you can't use dual 750TI's. They do not support SLI.

Also, the Z97 board is an unnecessary waste of money on the G3258. There are B85, H81 and H97 boards that support overclocking on the G3258 that are much cheaper than any Z97 board will be so unless you plan to use memory over 1600mhz there's no point to the Z97 board, especially since you can't SLI the 750TI so you don't need a board that supports that.

Additionally, if this is to be a gaming system, 8GB is PLENTY. 16GB would give you enough memory capacity for the foreseeable future and 32GB is senseless.

Solution

Narcilex

Reputable
Nov 27, 2015

Hey thanks so much for the quick reply! I'm glad I put those orders on hold.... Anyways... After your reply I reworked my selection (with your advice in mind). Would a full setup of a B85, 750ti, and a i3 4370 be a better decision?

Update: Sorry I meant the i5 4570

Actually, either of those two CPUs would be better than the G3258. Clearly the i5 with it's four actual cores would be the best option of the two but even the i3 with it's additional two hyperthreads and much higher clock speed would be better than a dual core G3258. The G3258 is very capable when overclocked to a high degree, but like I said, there are titles that won't even install or play with only two cores and titles that see or want to see much in the way of threaded performance will suffer.

Personally, I'd recommend something different than that chip. What is your actual budget for this build and what, if any, components do you already have along with their model numbers?

Narcilex

Reputable
Nov 27, 2015

As its stands my budget for this upgrade is around a $400-$500(with about a $100 in wiggle room) though I'm trying to keep it as low as possible as I am merely looking to play Fallout 4 (among other games) on a medium to high end level with as much performance as I can squeeze out.... As for the components I currently have on hand they are: FX-4100 Zambezi, an Asus M5A97 and an Asus C242PI. With the 750ti on its way.

I do wan't to apologize though, my ignorance must be extremely irritating to you, but I really do appreciate the help!

Narcilex

Reputable
Nov 27, 2015

It was kind of funny actually, with all the black fridays sales I was able to get my 750ti for cheaper than my 750 as I hadn't purchased it all that long ago so I just returned it and tagged in the 750ti.

Ok, that's a pretty fair unit. So really you're just looking for a CPU and motherboard then? You changed your earlier post and I no longer see what components you need. I'm guessing CPU, RAM and motherboard? It's too bad you already purchased the 750TI, you could probably budget a much better configuration if you hadn't already ordered that, or, if it can be cancelled.

SO which components do you still need, including whatever you don't already have. Case? Etc.

Narcilex

Reputable
Nov 27, 2015

Exactly. I bought this computer pre-assembled and now i'm simply looking to upgrade into something thats capabilities I can thoroughly enjoy! But the problem that comes up is: while I am learning to love playing around with computers I am still brand new entering a new world.... As for components I still need i'm looking to upgrade my CPU in particular but as it stands motherboards aren't particularly expensive so if I can find a suitable replacement ill take it. With regard to the 750ti it has shipped but ill give them a call in the morning and see about their return policy if you can help me put together a better rig truthfully the only reason I ordered so 750ti in such a flurry was because I was able to get it (excluding shipping) for $124. But thats about it I believe, I DO have a case but ill be dammed what model number it is, sorry i've been scouring the thing for that past 20 minutes give or take and I haven't found anything.

To sum things up though, I believe i'm covered in the case, power supply and RAM (two 8gb hyper genesis cards). I would really appreciate it if you could help me put together an honest to god gaming computer for what I currently have on hand though. Also while I don't know if this helps only i'll be ordering most parts from NCIX if possible.

I wouldn't limit myself to NCIX, costs could be substantially different and right now most places are offering free shipping on most things anyhow so bundling orders to save on shipping isn't really necessary in most cases. What speed is the memory you have right now?