Ordering today - do the parts work well together

2000xpsd

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
ordering today, old computer finally died for good

non gaming machine, mostly multitasking graphic design stuff. i run 2 monitor but figured onboard video is good enough...i don't think i need any fancy ass video cards...saves a few $$$
what do you think of this stuff....i'd like to stick with amd...i can't wait anymore for bulldozer either, i need to order today. mobo any good??? or should a go a different route

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Thuban 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor

ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 AM3 AMD 890GX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory

OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Solution
CPU: Well that is a good CPU for multitasking, but the possible issue below with the mobo installation might cause some issues for you.

Mobo: It's a nice board, but the problem I can see with it is that your CPU is not supported before bios 1301. And it may be that the mobo ships with the 0402. So unless you have an extra CPU that is supported that you can flash the bios with or you can borrow one, you may run into issues with installation.
A link to the CPU support list here.

Another choice would be to get:Asus M5A88-M $109.99
It will support the above CPU out of the box, has onboard graphics and it has AM3+ socket to support the bulldozer CPU's.

HDD: Get the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB instead. It's faster than the WD...

rvilkman

Distinguished
CPU: Well that is a good CPU for multitasking, but the possible issue below with the mobo installation might cause some issues for you.

Mobo: It's a nice board, but the problem I can see with it is that your CPU is not supported before bios 1301. And it may be that the mobo ships with the 0402. So unless you have an extra CPU that is supported that you can flash the bios with or you can borrow one, you may run into issues with installation.
A link to the CPU support list here.

Another choice would be to get:Asus M5A88-M $109.99
It will support the above CPU out of the box, has onboard graphics and it has AM3+ socket to support the bulldozer CPU's.

HDD: Get the Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB instead. It's faster than the WD about the same price.

Memory is good.

SSD: Check out Crucial M4 64Gb it's faster since it uses Sata III

If you feel like you need some extra kick for graphics. A 5570 or 5670 can work nicely for you. $40-60 after rebates.

Solution

2000xpsd

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
Thank you...I'm glad i asked as i was really unsure about that mobo. M5A88-M it is thanks.

good point about the ssd, i missed that one and will check it out...same with the F3

thanks again

SamKook

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011
You can get a pci card with a IDE port on it, they sell pretty cheap(I got 1 for 5$ once) on ebay(seems to be 13$ for the cheapest on newegg).

And for the hard drive, I would stick with WD since I've never had one of their hard drive break unlike any other brand I used, but that's a personal choice and I don't think I ever used a samsung so I don't know if they're reliable on the long term.

2000xpsd

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
That mobo that was recommended is a micro atx... I don't want no stink'n micro atx. I have a haf 912 case so room is no prob. What's a good board??? Should I just bite it and get a crosshair and a VGA card

rvilkman

Distinguished
Well you didn't even plan on putting a video card in so do you need the expandability of the full ATX mobo for something? the board really has everything else than a full sized ATX mobo has except for a couple of PCIe slots.

I doubt you really have to go for a crosshair to get a vga card :)
How about: Asrock 970 Extreme 4 $104.99
And then 5570 or 5670 for a video card such as:
PowerColor AX5570 $54.99 ( before $15 MIR )
or
XFX 5670 $72.99 ( before $20 MIR )

2000xpsd

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2010
Well, I'd like to have the option of adding a card. For one i do alot of graphics work with 2 monitors and if the onboard ends up pigging out then i coulg just add a card. And I know I said no gaming but I'm a battlefield fan, the upcoming looks pretty sick so maybe I'll a card to play the pc version. I really don't like gaming on a pc tho, you never can stay ahead of the technology with out going broke and it's just too much if a pia.
I also figure if I have the room then why not a full atx, micros are just 10lbs of crap in a 2lb bag, never a bug fan.
I like Asus stuff too...machine has to be reliable and easy as it's mainly a work cpu
The only mentioned the crosshair as I've heard nothing but good things when paired with a amd x6 as far as performance and reliability