News Origin’s Big O Is a PC and Console in the Same Chassis

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
This sounds like something that Cave Johnson came up with after a particularly enraged rant session.

I don't get what possible purpose there is for this, or what possible target audience.

It seems like a weird time to launch new hardware like this, when a new generation of consoles will be launching before the year is through. And why did they go with an Xbox One S Digital Edition? That's currently a $175 console on Amazon. That doesn't exactly seem like something one would pair with a multi-thousand dollar gaming PC. Could they not fit a One X in there?

Also, the pricing is quite high for what you get. That $2500 starting price for the PS4 Pro version just gets you a GTX 1660 SUPER, an i5-9600K with 120mm AIO, a 1TB mechanical HDD with a 240GB SSD, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, a 450 watt SFX PSU, and of course a PS4 Pro. You can technically cut that starting price down by another $150 for the One S version, though I'm not sure why one would do that, especially considering most Xbox One exclusives quickly make their way to the PC, where they should typically run and look significantly better, even on this mid-range hardware.

Plugging this base system's exact same components into PCPartPicker, before adding the console or a Windows license, they only add up to roughly $1050 worth of hardware. Add a PS4 Pro and $100 for a full-priced OEM copy of Windows, and you're still under $1500, making the markup of the system over $1000. And of course Corsair doesn't pay full list price for many of these components. One could also swap some things around and get more gaming performance for their money out of a PC with a $1050 hardware budget, like a better graphics card (RTX 2060), a terabyte of SSD storage, and a PSU with more headroom for future upgrades. And for $1000 more, roughly the price they're asking? One could move up to a 2080 Ti, an 8-core processor, and additional RAM and/or SSD storage, a system that would provide over double the gaming performance in demanding titles.