Question Origin Chronos SFF PC Hitches, Sound Distorts

Mar 26, 2019
I recently purchased a used Origin Chronos PC on eBay. It has an Asus ROG Strix Z-370-I Gaming motherboard, an i7 8700k, liquid cooled, a GTX 1080 Ti (pulled from a perfectly functional Aurora R7), 16GB DDR4 (unsure of brand but running at 3200MHz via XMP), and twin Samsung EVO SATA SSD’s.

When I first got the machine, I put the SSD’s in RAID 0 and installed Windows fresh. I installed all drivers, along with Steam, the GOG launcher, and a few games. I tried The Witcher 3 first, and the PSU sounded like an airplane taking off, and within 20 seconds, before even being able to set the graphics options, the screen went black and there was a buzzing sound coming from the machine. I powered it down, and did a little looking into the components.

It originally had a 600 Watt Silverstone SFX power supply, which sounded suspect after reading reviews on Newegg. I replaced the PSU with a brand new Corsair SF750, and have yet to have the screen go black again, but every so often, and seemingly at random, the machine will hitch and the sound playing at the time will distort.

I ran Furmark for 15 minutes at 4K—no issues, I ran Windows memory diagnostic utility —no issues, and ran Prime95’s torture test on both CPU and RAM for half an hour—no issues.

I’ve read various posts online and have tried a few of the suggestions, including switching from HDMI audio and uninstalling the nVidia High Definition Audio drivers, deleting the RAID volume and reinstalling Windows on a single drive, and disabling Fast Boot both in BIOS and Windows, but the problem persists.

I’m at a bit of a loss at this point—does anyone have any suggestions?