Origin PC Chronos: Two GeForce GTX 780 Tis In A Mini Gaming Cube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ouch, that is expensive!
Loving the small form factor and performance though.

How loud does this system have to get to handle all that heat?
I am guessing that it will be pretty noisy; probably the biggest downside to putting so much performance in such a small package.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nope, it's quiet. The reason it's quiet is that it uses GeForce 780 Ti's. They use what's probably the best GPU cooler ever devised.

Ah, but 17+73=90. It never reached max fan speed :)

Quiet, powerful and a small footprint.
That is a great combination in my book :)

Zeh

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
I'd rather not have a 1 TB SSD. It's expensive as it is and 256gb is more than enough, at least for me. Heck, I have a 60gb and I'm fine with it.

I have a pair of 120gb ssd's in raid0, and it's nearly full with about 1/4 of my steam library, I'd like a 1tb ssd, but really don't want to shell out for one. the Hybrid drives are looking prety good, though. I'm suprised, with all the other money they dumped into this system that the storage drive wasn't a hybrid.

larsoncc

Honorable
Nov 1, 2013
The internals are just amazing. Look at how beautifully compact it all is. I bet it's surprisingly heavy for its size; those 850W power supplies have some heft to them.

Iggledude

Honorable
Dec 22, 2013
Awesome Machine.The "perceived" heat in that cramped space would bug me to no end however. Still though... again, Awesome Machine.

frannymaccy

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014
[strike][/strike]WTF? For 300 dollars cheaper, you could build:

4930KRampage IV Black
16GB 2400 CL10 Trident X
GTX 780 Windforce OC in Sli
840 Pro 512 GB
2 x 1TB WD Caviar Blue
Storm Trooper
Seasonic 1250W 80+ Gold
LG Blu Ray Writer
Windows 8.1 Pro

This is a vastly faster, more versatile, and more robust system... Literally every single component of this system will run better on stock, OC'able components will OC much better and with way more headroom, will be more reliable and stable, will last significantly longer as games use more hyperthreading and cores and faster RAM, and that's with 300 quid left over and splashing out easily 250 extra bucks on a super overkill PSU and Blu Ray Player and shipping costs... !

The remaining money of 300-550 would probably cover a switch of components to the next gen of 5930K processors, Rampage V, DDR4 memory and sli GTX 880s before the year's out!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Sorry, I thought I mentioned it was cold without stating the temp. Measured temp was 17 when that CPU temperature was recorded.

Your analysis of the statement is questionable, since the article statement is a consideration of labor and shipping cost involved with assembly and warranty support.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Great! If you want to pay a 12-year old kid who lives across the country $15 an hour to build your PC, then pay him up front for 3 years of back-and-forth shipping, go for it. But that only implies that my warranty claim does hold weight.

Doug Lord

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
You guys need to do a better job of fitting your review to the tasks that a person that might buy a product is likely to perform. You do not buy 2x780ti to play Battlefield 3 at 1080p with medium settings. If you are going to buy 2x780ti you are ONLY interested in 3x1080p or 4k with the highest possible settings that will still generate a 30fps minimum. Why is it you have no 4k???

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's well assembled, as opposed to the Lenovo machine that was sloppily assembled. You pay an extra hour of labor for that, or at least my build experience says it takes an extra hour to do a "standard" rather than "substandard" installation.

So you add the labor, you add the support cost including shipping, you forget the value of the parts in the warranty since most of those parts have factory warranties, and you're still looking at a bag of money the boutique must have on hand in addition to the cost of parts.
Thanks!
Please ask Chris to buy three 4k displays for Paul, Don, and myself. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.