[SOLVED] Origin PC Frostbyte 360 for 2080ti SLI, is it enough?

Aug 22, 2019
Hey yall, first time poster here.

So, long story short, I'm training to become a penetration tester (get your laughs out), and my company buys performant PCs for us when we reach the OSCP phase. The time has come. I went with an Origin PC, Genesis case, 9900k, 64gb 3600mhz ram, and 2 2080ti's in SLI (I have the full specs if it makes a difference). The GPUs are Founders Editions (the only option they have for 2080ti's right now). These GPUs are going to be under significant load for hours at a time on some occasions cracking hashes. I also play video games, so obviously they'll be used for that as well.

I went with the Origin PC Frostbyte 360mm AIO setup, as I didn't want to wait for the soft/hard line cooling to be installed, and I'm still a little sketched about the whole put-liquid-in-your-pc...and then ship it thing. I don't know if the PC has additional fans aside from the AIO fans, I assume probably just 1 exhaust. They have some pretty crazy set ups, but they cause delays, and this PC is already $6400 so I'm kinda out of budget here...Does anybody know if the 360mm AIO will be enough to cool this whole PC???

TLDR: Will a 360mm AIO be enough to cool an i9900k and dual 2080ti FE cards in an Origin Genesis case? If not, will a second AIO or more case fans help at all?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
I would normally recommend against doing SLI, because games don't tend to support multi-GPU setups anymore.

BUT.... you said both GPUs would be running hashes constantly, so that answers my question of "Why do you want dual video cards?"

That said, for gaming purposes, SLI will be a pain to set up, will improve performance on some games, not do squat on others, and hurt performance on still others. When gaming, just go through a single card.
Aug 22, 2019
...I'm so happy you said this, I misunderstood the way AIO coolers worked, I thought they acted as case fans in addition to expelling hot air from the CPU. So this makes my question totally useless lol. I think at this point, I'll just have to wait for the PC to come in and see if the GPUs get super hot. If they do, I'm not entirely sure what options I have at that point, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Thanks!

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
This goes to show you the impact of the blurry marketing has on 'liquid cooling'...people will pay extra to have it thinking it is just going to be better, but the reality is, that is not always the truth, especially when it comes to an AIO. It also means it blurs the lines about what is also being impacted by this cooling.

Liquid cooling isn't always better than air cooling and 'liquid cooler A' likely performs very differently than 'liquid cooler B'.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I would normally recommend against doing SLI, because games don't tend to support multi-GPU setups anymore.

BUT.... you said both GPUs would be running hashes constantly, so that answers my question of "Why do you want dual video cards?"

That said, for gaming purposes, SLI will be a pain to set up, will improve performance on some games, not do squat on others, and hurt performance on still others. When gaming, just go through a single card.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS