Origin PC Now Using OCZ Vector 150 SSDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmysmitty

Champion
Moderator


Or less. I worked at a shop and we built 12 systems for use in the store (PoS, HR and tech use) and we put in all OCZ 60 and 120GB SSDs. Within about 3 months we started having issues ranging from the SSDs dropping from the SATA controller (and this was on Intel SATA controllers, not a crappy Marvell one) to them not being detected at all ever again. All 12 of them started doing this.

We ended up replacing them all with Intel 320s and never had an issue again.
 

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
2,507
0
21,160
111
Proud owner of more than 30 OCZ SSDs, never had a problem with any of them.

So jimmysmitty, was it _Vector_ units you put in your systems that had issues?
If not then don't post FUD. Vectors are very good SSDs indeed. And what happened
with the models you used? Did you get them replaced by OCZ? What caused the
issue? So many of these sorts of instances were with older V1/V2 models due to
fw bugs which were later fully fixed, but people keep on posting about them even
though it's largely irrelevant to V4s and Vectors.

Ian.

 

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
2,507
0
21,160
111


That sucks. :\




Funny you should mention that; the only OCZ product I ever had a problem with was one of their 1kW
PSUs. Sent it back for a refund; stuck to Thermaltake Toughpower since then & never looked back.

But for SSDs, OCZ is fine; the key is, for the older models that are IMO any good (Vertex2E, Vertex3,
Vertex4), make sure the fw is up to date before using them, then they should be A-ok. I would not
though recommend the lesser models like the Solid.


Btw, a curious thing, I've hardly ever seen anyone on a forum say they have an Agility4. I wonder why?
I acquired one just for testing, it works pretty well. Seems though it's the Agility3 which remains
surprisingly popular on eBay.

Ian.

 

soccerplayer88

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
227
0
18,680
0
It's strange. I'm in the same boat with some others.

I've owned my five Vertex3 120GB SSD's since they came out years ago. None of them has ever failed or caused a problem.

Must be something special they did with the Vertex series. /shrug
 

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
2,507
0
21,160
111
Did you ever update the firmware from when you first bought them?

Who knows, maybe the units that caused problems were from a bad batch,
or only the very early fw version was liable to mess things up, something
like that, though I have a feeling most of the issues were with Vertex2s
and other pre-V3 editions. Can't quite remember now.

Either way, peoples' experiences do seem to vary widely, but the most
important thing is that all of these problems were related to models prior
to the Vertex4. All the models from the V4 onwards were really good.

However, it's only human nature to adopt the approach of once bitten,
twice shy.

Ian.

 

jimmysmitty

Champion
Moderator


I didn't state these specifically but you can imagine that having 12 of them fail like I stated puts a bad taste in your mouth. It was a bit ago bit I think they were the Vertex 3s and they were all up to date with firmware (I always do that and check my current SSD monthly along with other drivers/BIOS updates). They were all on the same motherboard with the same CPU (except the tech stations which had a bit higher end model for more SATA ports but still a Intel 6 series chipset) etc and they all did this.

Maybe we got a bad batch but in the end we stopped selling OCZ because beyond that we had more customer returns with them than we did with most other brands we sold.

If it happened on one or two I wouldn't have cared but 12 along with ones going bad that customers bought? That makes me stick to other brands.
 

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
2,507
0
21,160
111
jimmysmitty writes:
> I didn't state these specifically but you can imagine that having 12 of them fail
> like I stated puts a bad taste in your mouth. ...

Yes indeed, very understandable from your point of view.


> ... It was a bit ago bit I think they were the Vertex 3s ...

Yup, that figures.


> .. and they were all up to date with firmware ...

Remember though there were further updates after all the failure issues.
Latest release is 1.37 I think.


> Maybe we got a bad batch ...

Probably, though it's peculiar that this whole thing seemed to pan out in that way,
ie. what seems to be a combination of fw bugs and some kind of manufacturing flaw.
Otherwise, I can't see how one person can have such terrible issues as you did,
while others (eg. me, I have loads of V3s) have no issues at all.


> ... but in the end we stopped selling OCZ because beyond that we had more customer
> returns with them than we did with most other brands we sold.

Certainly from a biz perspective that makes perfect sense.

I can only conclude that within OCZ back then, the majority view was that, a bit like
MS and Windows releases, it was better to release fast & try to grab market share,
effectively using the early adopters as bug finders. False economy IMO, never understood
why any business would think that makes sense, but sooo many companies do it. Look
at all the car recalls we've had in recent years, now another massive one this week (what
is it, more than 8 million due to faulty ignition systems or something?).

After the Vertex3 though, things changed at OCZ. The Vertex4 was sooo much better,
perhaps in part due to it not using a SF controller, and the performance was a big leap too.
Even today, a 256GB Vertex4 is a very potent unit.


> If it happened on one or two I wouldn't have cared but 12 along with ones going bad that
> customers bought? That makes me stick to other brands.

Understandable, and proof of my comment above about a company releasing unfinished
products being such a bad idea. Once bitten, twice shy; an aggrieved user, especially any
commercial user, often just won't come back, no matter how good the later products are.

The modern OCZ doesn't operate in that old way I'm sure, but it will take a long while for
them to claw back a decent reputation, even if newer products are indeed way up there
with the latest Samsungs. Hopefully Toshiba can chop away the fluff and get them to
release a rival to the 850, because based on how well the Vector performs I would have
though that's easily doable. Atm they're a bit in the doldrums IMO though because their
pricing is just too high. The Vertex3 used to be very much competitive when it was
mid-life, but the Vertex 460 is too expensive, the Vector 150 is often out of stock (and it
needs to be cheaper than the EVO to really sell well), and on some sites the 240GB
Vertex 460 has vanished entirely.

I hope OCZ can get back into the game, because we need the competition, which atm
seems to be mostly coming from Crucial and SanDisk instead.

Ian.

 

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
276
0
10,780
0


That sucks. :\




Funny you should mention that; the only OCZ product I ever had a problem with was one of their 1kW
PSUs. Sent it back for a refund; stuck to Thermaltake Toughpower since then & never looked back.
Had a PSU fry 3 weeks in and take out my motherboard, CPU and GPU. They wouldn't even refund me the cost of the power supply much less anything else. Had to build a new PC out of pocket, went with an Antec PSU and it lasted 5 years.
Had DDR that wouldn't hit its rated speeds even with increased voltage, plus they screwed me out of a rebate. Had to take a "restocking fee" because OCZ wouldn't replace the sticks, went Corsair, no problems.
Lost a CPU because a retention bracket on a CPU cooler broke for no apparent reason. That was the final straw, wouldn't take FREE products from them after all the "stellar" customer service and "quality" products I've had from them.

 
Status
Not open for further replies.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS