Origin PC's EON15-X And EON17-X Now Come With Intel Skylake Desktop CPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

gamebrigada

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Guys please be aware of Origin's laptops. It should be pretty obvious that OriginPC is NOT a manufacturer, they are simply a system builder. They don't actually make the things, and when it comes to warranties, they've got NO idea what is going on. The actual manufacturer is Clevo. We've done a couple workstations with Origin, and we had a ton of problems, that they didn't fix but simply replaced with a new unit that had other problems.

RobWilJas

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
That's true of most brands. Clevo is the ODM or "Original design manufacturer" https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_design_manufacturer

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_laptop_brands_and_manufacturers

"The vast majority of laptops on the market (94% in 2011) are manufactured by a small handful of Taiwan-based Original Design Manufacturers (ODM), although their production bases are located mostly in mainland China.

Major relationships include:

Quanta sells to (among others) HP, Lenovo, Apple, Acer, Toshiba, Dell, Sony, Fujitsu and NEC
Compal sells to (among others) Acer, Dell, Toshiba, Lenovo and HP/Compaq

Wistron (former manufacturing & design division of Acer) sells to Dell, Acer, Lenovo and HP
Inventec sells to Toshiba, HP, Dell and Lenovo

Pegatron sells to Asus, Toshiba, Apple, Dell and Acer

Foxconn sells to Asus, Dell, HP and Apple

Flextronics (former Arima Computer Corporation notebook division) sells to HP

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
If these are Clevo units, potential buyers might want to wait until Sager (or Eurocom and Schenker in Europe) updates its lineup for a price comparison.

The supplied link to Origin PC's "configurator" (not an actual word) still shows these as carrying "up to Intel Core i7 4790K," indicating the webmaster needs to update the site.

scolaner

Reputable
Jul 30, 2014
The supplied link to Origin PC's "configurator" (not an actual word) ...

Oh, don't be so dogmatic. The tech world is loaded with "not actual words." Humans invent new words all the time, or innovate on existing ones when we must. That's how the lexicon develops.

Viet_2

Reputable
Sep 11, 2015
I'm considering an eon15-x, should I wait till other makers offer a laptop with gtx980m and i5-6600k? Is there an issue of Clevo is the manufacturer?

RazberyBandit

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2008
Clevo is a fine manufacturer (ODM, technically) - there's no issue there. Since Clevo is an ODM, it is likely that its other partners will be releasing similar models, though under different model numbers. (None of them use Clevo's actual nomenclature.) Partners may be taking their time since the preceding 4th-Gen Haswell-based model (Clevo P650SE a.k.a. Sager NP8651, Eurocom M5, Schenker H505) is rather widely regarded as the best 15" gaming laptop on the market and there are still many of them available.

$2300 really isn't all that bad for a laptop equipped with a K-series i7 desktop CPU and nVIDIA 980M. But costs really start to add up as you increase RAM and storage capacities. I've seen similarly equipped 4th-Gen Haswell offerings in that price range, but Sager and Eurocom offerings tend to be less expensive those of OriginPC.

I recommend waiting if you can. Competition pushes prices down, and I expect more of these to enter channel from other brands.

Status
Not open for further replies.