[SOLVED] Original bios XFX RX580 GTS 4GB

May 30, 2019
Hi guys.
Well, my story is that I bought an used XFX RX 580 (4GB, GTS, Elpida memory) which turns out was used for minning. I'm OK with that as long as it works fine. Saddly, the genius who had it, replaced both bios with the same minning bios and didn't flash the original ones back before selling it.

I started searching and found a GPU repository in techpowerup and they had the XFX one for the 4GB RX580, however it is clocked at 1750mhz for memory clock. XFX models are all clocked at 2000mhz. I haven't been able to find a bios with the right clock for it. I was wondering if anyone here has this GPU and could backup their bios or if anyone here knows where to find it.

For a couple weeks I've been using it with the bios I mentioned before and overclocked it to 2000mhz, but I don't know if it's the same or if it might be stressing the card more than just using a bios with 2000mhz base clock speed.

Solution
I'm on mobile and cant get back to my pc for a lil.but you can try yourself.

Download Polaris VBios editor from techpowerup.
Extract the zip.
Open the program and load the xfx bios.
In the center you will see a memory clockspeeds.
Look for the last one that says 1750 - 1000 and click on it.
At the bottom of the program change 1750 to 2000 and then click enter.
Then save rom file and flash to card.

I cannot guarantee it will work, so i would make sure there is a functional bios on the other section of the dual bios.
May 30, 2019
You might ask XFX for bios? If nobody has here same GPU as you.

I didn't think I could get help from them for this kind of situation, but after seeing their warranty and that they are kind of ok with modding I followed your suggestion and registered my card (I was surprised I could do it, maybe the original owner never did it) and created a ticket for this. I hope I get a positive answer.

May 30, 2019
I'm not sure how neither >.<
If pasting links is not against the rules, you could upload it to a file host (mediafire, dropbox, mega, etc) and paste the link here. I'd be really thankful.

I'm on mobile and cant get back to my pc for a lil.but you can try yourself.

Download Polaris VBios editor from techpowerup.
Extract the zip.
Open the program and load the xfx bios.
In the center you will see a memory clockspeeds.
Look for the last one that says 1750 - 1000 and click on it.
At the bottom of the program change 1750 to 2000 and then click enter.
Then save rom file and flash to card.

I cannot guarantee it will work, so i would make sure there is a functional bios on the other section of the dual bios.

Solution
May 30, 2019
Oh, I thought the process was way more complicated than that. I'll check and update back.

Update #1: Seems to have worked. GPU-Z shows the new frequency. AMD drivers and afterburner still show 1750mhz even after restoring settings but that's probably a remnant of the old info. I'm currently reinstalling them.

Last edited:
That program is very convenient.

There may be a "more proper" way to increase frequency with different timings and voltage adjustments, but if its stable i wouldn't worry about it.

If you have a program like MSI afterburner installed that could also cause an issue locking the mem to 1750 even after you change it to 2000 on vbios.

Reactions: IvarD
May 30, 2019
Well. Weirdly enough, it seems to work cooler when using the bios clocked at 2000mhz by default than locking it to that frequency using Afterburner while running the 1750mhz bios.

Thanks NightHawk, you were reallt helpful!

Reactions: NightHawkRMX