Original Xbox Problem

honaw_12

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Hey,

I just got an original Halo Edition Xbox to play Halo for nostalgia and the system is having a few problems.

When I turn it on it does not display anything on the screen and the light on the front does nothing but a steady green light. I then have to turn it on again 1 to 2 times more to get it to start the system and it will start like it should. If I press the disc eject button the green light will just flash. To get it going I usually have to press the disc eject button repeatably to get it to start properly. It will then eject the disc tray after that it starts its just fine, plays the game just fine until I press the disc eject again. I got this halo edition for a steal and would really like to fix it if I can. I am fine with it doing this, but it will be better if it worked like a charm. So hopefully it will not escalate and get worse.

What do you guys think?

cl-scott

Honorable

You might be able to find someone who could repair it, but the motherboard could only be replaced if you bought another Xbox and swapped them out. Microsoft unceremoniously dropped all support for the Xbox when the 360 launched, so there's not exactly any official repair options like the 360.

Might be worth figuring out how much you're willing to pay to get this fixed, and then put up an ad on Craigslist to see if you can find someone to fix it for you. You'll have to be careful, as there will be plenty of people who try and scam you in some way, but there's bound to be at least a few people out there who are legit.

honaw_12

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
I might just get another motherboard. I saw one on ebay for $20. I can get it to work and play everything. Its just a minor inconvenience. I got the Halo Limited edition Xbox for 40 bucks plus 2 controllers and one of them is the halo limited edition controller. So I really cant complain. Guy said he would take it back but he said he did not think they would give me a halo edition replacement, just a regular one. So I will probably keep it.

honaw_12

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
Oh and one more question. Is the optical drive inside of the xbox a regular DVD drive. Thats all it says it is when I was inside it. I wonder if I could swap it out with a computer DVD drive?

cl-scott

Honorable

No. It's been a long time since I took apart my Xbox, but IIRC it has both a custom interface cable, and then also it has a custom firmware on it that allows it to read the Xbox game discs.