Original XP install cd gone, how to do a repair/install?

ComputerNDN

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
Hello,
My name is Darryl. I have a Dell Dimension with XP. XP is in need of repair. The original XP cd is gone. Dell sent me a replacement but when it is inserted the "cannot continue since the version of XP on your system is newer than the one on the cd" message.

I know a new cd can be made that will include the SP3 update with it. But to do this isn't the original cd with the product key required? I still have the product key but am having trouble continuing.

Any suggestions on how to continue?

There's a few things you can try
first call Dell and tell them they sent you the wrong CD. Get the right one from them.
Hold down F8 and start the computer. On a Dell you may get a list of system repair options such as:
Repair system or restore system to an earlier time.
Try using these options to repair or restore the system. If that does not work, you will need the correct CD-Get one from Dell if you can.
You can also buy a SP3 CD on amazon, and it's pretty cheap. If you can, buy XP Professional SP3. You can use that CD to restore repair the system.

Don't do the repair install from the OS. Boot to the cd. XP can do a repair install from the CD.