Question Os cloning issue

lexyrx07

Reputable
Sep 24, 2017
I recently got a samsung 860 evo ssd, and I have an existing old 1tb seagate harddrive thats not doing too good.. so I wanted to clone my os onto the ssd.. which after running into quite a lot of issues.. I somehow managed to do.. I just wanted to clone the c drive with my windows on it to the ssd, which I managed.. but whats happened now is.. whenever I run my pc, theres two options it gives me 'load windows from volume 1' or 'Windows from volume 4' or something, if I load volume 1 it loads the ssd ( which I wanted ) but I can't see my harddrive at all.. in the disk settings, its not even visible.. I want to access my data there but I can't ( the drive is visible in the bios ), so I tried loading windows from volume 4, it loads up my old os on my harddrive and I can access all my data but I can't see the ssd partion in 'This pc' on file explorer.. but I can at least see it in the disk management section.. I have clearly done something wrong here I am guessing, can anyone help me with this ? thanks.

USAFRet

Titan
For future reference:

-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that
You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive
Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specifiy the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing

Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

lexyrx07

Reputable
Sep 24, 2017
I did do that to check if the ssd was working without the harddrive installed, at first.. I wasn't sure what the volumes meant, but then I reconnected the harddrive back because I need to access the data on the hdd.

lexyrx07

Reputable
Sep 24, 2017
remove the original drive and put it into an external - probably have the volume names and drive letters conflicting so both connected via SATA is no good
but it won't even let me access it in disk management when booting up os with ssd, which I find very odd as cloning videos I watched didn't seem to have that issue.

lexyrx07

Reputable
Sep 24, 2017
bios boot order is 1 :Wd elements 2:Samsung evo 860 and 3: hdd
but When I start my pc with both the ssd and hdd installed it Asks me which operating system I wanna run, if I run the volume 1 it loads up the os on the ssd.. as I have stated.. if I load up volume 4 it loads up the os on my hdd.. Do u wanna see the disk management screen if I go onto the os on the hdd ?

lexyrx07

Reputable
Sep 24, 2017
wait.. just now.. just after I went into the bios and restarted my pc, and went into volume 1.. It loaded the os on ssd as normal but suddenly I can access my harddrive files and and they are visible in the disk management as well.. it worked just as I wanted but now I am afraid its gonna bug up again the next time I restart or shutdown, what is even happening lol

USAFRet

Titan
wait.. just now.. just after I went into the bios and restarted my pc, and went into volume 1.. It loaded the os on ssd as normal but suddenly I can access my harddrive files and and they are visible in the disk management as well.. it worked just as I wanted but now I am afraid its gonna bug up again the next time I restart or shutdown, what is even happening lol
Booting from the new SSD, and being able to access stuff on the old drive is absolutely normal.

But what you should do, though...is wipe that old HDD clean. All data, all partitions. Fully empty.

lexyrx07

Reputable
Sep 24, 2017
but it wasnt doing that for the past 3 hours, It has just done that right now out of nowhere, I havent changed the boot order as of yet, like u suggested.. although I am not sure How to change the boot order on my gigabyte h97 gaming 3 motherboard, theres no option in the bios, theres only an option of a boot overload.. I can go into the boot order menu from the start screen by pressing f12 but that shows me my drives and tells me to select the boot drive, I cant .. I guess change the order itself. I am not sure how this works.
Booting from the new SSD, and being able to access stuff on the old drive is absolutely normal.

But what you should do, though...is wipe that old HDD clean. All data, all partitions. Fully empty.