OS Drive is too big to migrate to new 500gb SSD?

cooljaken

Reputable
Feb 9, 2015
Hello iv recently purchased a new SSD 500GB in the hopes that i can move my current OS to the SSD to get faster boot speeds. Iv been having some problems regarding capacity though. My current drive which holds all my OS windows 10 is currently using 1tb of its capacity hence i cannot move it onto my 500gb ssd. This is even after moving all my documents, pictures and video files onto my second harddrive. So my question is whats filling up my OS so much? and can i just migrate that to my secondary harddrive?

I beleive a big chunk of it is from my programs and steam games but after looking im struggling to see anyway to migrate those seperatley to my secondary SSD? Anyway to do this without deleting all my programs and reinstalling them?

Solution
"So my question is whats filling up my OS so much?"
For 1 TB of data, it's likely NOT your OS. Steam games and other programs are likely the cause of the drive being so full.

"I believe a big chunk of it is from my programs and steam games but after looking im struggling to see anyway to migrate those separately to my secondary SSD?"
Follow USAFRet's instructions to move your games.

I personally keep my games installed on a secondary (NON-OS) drive HDD designated for games.
This way if I get hit with a virus or malware I can just format my SSD, reinstall windows and a few programs and I'm back to normal again in no time.

DSzymborski

Titan
You can download WinDirStat to see what's using space. If you can't get it below the capacity of the SSD, you can't clone it. In most situations, I'd just do a full, fresh, reinstall, and then simply reinstall the programs I want on the SSD, leaving the HDD for games that don't have long loading times and documents/pictures/video.

USAFRet

Titan

You must discover exactly what is using your drive space.
To go into a 500GB drive, you need the actual consumed space to be below 400GB.
The above WinDirStat an help you visualize.

Run that as Administrator, and post a screencap here.

(Specific cloning steps to follow, after we investigate your drive)

"So my question is whats filling up my OS so much?"
For 1 TB of data, it's likely NOT your OS. Steam games and other programs are likely the cause of the drive being so full.

"I believe a big chunk of it is from my programs and steam games but after looking im struggling to see anyway to migrate those separately to my secondary SSD?"
Follow USAFRet's instructions to move your games.

I personally keep my games installed on a secondary (NON-OS) drive HDD designated for games.
This way if I get hit with a virus or malware I can just format my SSD, reinstall windows and a few programs and I'm back to normal again in no time.

Solution