OS error in new Ryzen PC build

Aditya Iengar

Honorable
Aug 30, 2014
I put together a new PC with some new parts and a few old ones.

BIOS is booting up fine, no problem. But OS isn't booting. BSOD at the same stage (3-4 seconds into Windows loading screen) with error 0x0000007b.

I'm getting the option to Launch Startup Repair, but once into it, my mouse and keyboard don't work. I plugged them into USB2.0 slots, didn't work. Tried every available XHCI and Legacy USB Enable/Disable/Auto options, keyboard and mouse still unresponsive.

A Windows forum said boot driver may have changed, tried both AHCI and RAID in the BIOS, didn't work. The forum ironically recommended changing registry files, but obviously without booting into the OS, that's impossible.

I don't have another HDD or the Windows install disc, so I can't boot from the ROM either. Am kinda at my wit's end, and where I live, there really aren't any technicians I can ask. Any suggestions, please?

My current config:
New: Ryzen 5 2600x + MSI B450 Gaming Plus + Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB @ 3000mHz + Cooler Master K380 cabinet
Old: Corsair 600W PSU + Sapphire Radeon R9 270x 4GB + Seagate 1TB HDD @ 7200RPM + LG DVD RW

Solution
If you didn't do a fresh install the OS is going to be trying to load the wrong drivers and it will crash right away. Put the HDD back into the old system and download the Windows Media Creation Tool. That will allow you to download the most recent version of Win 10, if you are already running it, and either create a DVD or bootable USB stick.
Backup the files that you need from the HDD and install a fresh copy of Windows onto the HDD. After that install the correct drivers and you should be fine.
If you didn't do a fresh install the OS is going to be trying to load the wrong drivers and it will crash right away. Put the HDD back into the old system and download the Windows Media Creation Tool. That will allow you to download the most recent version of Win 10, if you are already running it, and either create a DVD or bootable USB stick.
Backup the files that you need from the HDD and install a fresh copy of Windows onto the HDD. After that install the correct drivers and you should be fine.

Solution

Aditya Iengar

Honorable
Aug 30, 2014
Wow, thank you so much for such quick responses!

Yes, I'm using my old HDD, which has Windows 7 installed. No SSD. Actually, I'd changed my motherboard a couple of years ago, and Windows had worked for me back then. I figured it would work this time too.

So is it imperative to get a new HDD as well as a new Windows OS? I'd hate to give up my Windows 7 for a 10, that's one of the reasons I hadn't upgraded to the new OS earlier.

You might be able to use the Media Creation Tool to get Win 7, however, if I remember correctly Ryzen doesn't have native support for 7. Using the Media Creation Tool you can still do the upgrade to 10 for free, which is a superior OS to 7 in every way. I would suggest getting a SSD though just because it is orders of magnitude faster than a HDD

Aditya Iengar

Honorable
Aug 30, 2014
Sorry to be such a noob, jeremyj_83, but I have a small confusion. I'd created separate partitions on the HDD, one for the OS and another for the data. Can I make a clean install of the new OS on the OS partition, or would that be inadvisable, and I should format the whole thing after taking a backup?

Sorry if I'm asking silly questions.

Since you have a separate partition, in theory you could just remove the old partition and then install the OS in the free space. It would be cleaner to just migrate the data either to an external HDD or backup, format the entire disk, and then recreate the 2 partitions. Don't forget that partition might still have hooks into the old system.

Aditya Iengar

Honorable
Aug 30, 2014
What you're saying makes sense, jeremyj_83 (sigh). So if I understand you correctly, I should:
Put the HDD back into the old system,
Backup all data to an external drive and format this HDD completely,
Download the Media Creation Tool for Win 10 (this'll be a challenge as one of the reasons I gave up on the old system was that there wasn't any Internet connection, apparently the motherboard was fried. But I'll figure something out)
Create a bootable USB stick with the Win 10,
Put the HDD into the new system and use the USB stick to install the new OS.
Oh, and get a SSD while I'm at it!
Alright, sounds good. Thank you so much for your help! I'll update once I'm through with all of this.

1. Backup current data
2. Download Media Creation Tool and create Win 10 USB stick.
3. Buy and Install SSD (if possible)
4. Run USB stick for Win 10 install.
a. During install choose "Custom" for install type as that will allow for a brand new install
b. Delete partitions on HDD and create new ones and install Windows on HDD (SSD if it had already been purchased)
5. After setup is finished install all drivers into Windows.
If you weren't able to purchase a SSD before installing Windows: Clone Windows partition onto SSD using Macrum Reflect Free Edition. Then reboot into BIOS and change the boot order so that the SSD boots first. After Windows boots up remove the old Windows partition from the HDD using Disk Manager and expand the other partition to include the recovered space.

Aditya Iengar

Honorable
Aug 30, 2014

Just wanted to come back here and thank you for your help. Worked like a charm!

I did face a bit of a hiccup with the HDD, Windows couldn't recognise it. I had to get into diskpart, create new partitions, then got stuck with MBR and GPT, but nothing a bit of googling couldn't solve!

My Win 7 license didn't work, though, so I'll have to get a new one for Win 10.

Thanks again!