OS help on laptop

Feb 24, 2018
I recently bought an MSI laptop from a local pawn shop. It’s an older one, running Windows 7 build 7601. However, down in the corner of my screen, it says this copy of Windows is not genuine. Is this possibly an error that I can fix, or does this mean the previous owner put a hacked version of Windows on this machine? Is there anything I can try to do to find out? I’m not very tech savvy and hate to think I just blew $600.

Also, it’s not finding or recognizing the built in cam. I’m hoping it’s all related and a problem that can be fixed.

Thanks for any help!

Solution
If the fact that the computer did not have a genuine copy of Windows was not made clear to you when you bought it, I would consider bringing it back to the shop and talking to them about this. In its current state it will no longer be usable after 1 month unless you pay for a new license. It's also getting hard to find reliable Windows 7 OEM or retail packages.

Don't recommend trying a cheaper product as many of those keys end up being no good.

USAFRet

Titan

It says it is "Not Genuine", because it is actually "Not Genuine". AKA not yet activated, or a hack.
A Win 7 install will run for 30 days, unactivated without paying for a valid license.

After that, you personally need to buy a valid license for it, and activate it.

You spent $600 on the hardware.
Now you need to spend another $100 on a valid OS license.

For any used PC, you personally need to do a full wipe and reinstall of the OS. Whatever OS you purchase.

jr9

Estimable
If the fact that the computer did not have a genuine copy of Windows was not made clear to you when you bought it, I would consider bringing it back to the shop and talking to them about this. In its current state it will no longer be usable after 1 month unless you pay for a new license. It's also getting hard to find reliable Windows 7 OEM or retail packages.

Don't recommend trying a cheaper product as many of those keys end up being no good.

Solution