OS installation interrupted, now won't boot from HDD or DVD.

SteelPhoenix

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
I was reinstalling my copy of Windows 7 on my desktop when a power cut interupted the installation process. Now when I try to boot from the HDD I get a reset prompt to continue the installation, which just comes back every time I reset, and if I try to boot from the DVD it just sits on a blank screen with a flashing cursor in the top left corner. I have tried setting both devices as primary and secondary boot devices, and manually selecting the boot device from the BIOS with no luck. I've even tried disconnecting my primary HDD so I can install the OS on my secondary device, but I still get the same issue, blank screen, flashing cursor and the sound of my DVD drive trying and failing to spin up, at least that's what it sounds like. Anyone had this problem, or know how to fix it?

I've seen partially installed data left on the target disk mess up a windows install.

When you were "reinstalling my copy of Windows 7 " was this a format down, clean install ?

If clean install:

1. Get into BIOS and verify boot order has your DVD ahead of the system disk. Sound like you are an expert on this.
2. Boot off a windows repair DVD if you built one, or download one of the many disk repair bootable USB drives.
3. Use disk tools to the windows repair disk or the bootable disk to delete whatever partitions exist on the disk drive where you are installing windows.

Once the target drive for the clean install is again empty the windows install should run as you expect.

NOTE: if you were reinstalling in place trying to keep your data, DO NOT wipe out the partitions, that will destroy your data. Instead post.

SteelPhoenix

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
Tried your solution tsnor, but with no luck. Ended up having to take an ISO from my install DVD, burning that on to a bootable USB then starting the installation from scratch with that.

Thanks for the help anyway.