[SOLVED] OS installed on C drive can only boot from D drive?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Minecarrot

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2015
Hi everyone,
I've recently bought a new M.2 drive to put my OS onto as my old SSD drive is completely full up and causing problems.
To copy over my OS, I need to have only my current C drive and the destination drive connected.

I disconnected my other 2 HDDs and tried to boot back up only to have a message come up saying "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key".

I then reconnected one of my HDDs which I had seen have some windows files in, and it booted up perfectly fine.

I also tried to disconnect the C drive SSD and only boot from the HDD, but I got a Windows blue screen error message saying some files were missing(I can get that exact error message as well if necessary).

This leads me to believe that somehow all of the boot files are on the HDD and the rest of the Windows files are distributed in some way across the two drives.
Please let me know how I can sort this out, any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
Solution
With the system running, please show us a screencap of the Disk Management window.
Identify which drives are which.

The boot partition living on a different drive is quite common. It happens when you install the OS with more than one physical drive connected at the time.

USAFRet

Titan
So I just install Windows 10 onto the new drive? Do I have to delete the old OS files or how does that figure?
Old OS on the old drive?
Yes.
After the new drive is up and running.
This fresh install is also all of your applications, drivers, etc, etc.
You are starting from a blank slate.

Of course, document all your username/passwords, application serial numbers and logins, etc.
And of course, have your personal files somewhere else and offline during this process.

When in doubt, I followed my own advice and read the instructions:
Here is the applicable text from the samsung ssd migration manual:

When the Source Drive has two or more volumes (e.g. volumes to which drive letters, such as C:, D:, or E:, are assigned), this software can clone the C: volume on which an operating system is installed and two more volumes. The System Reserved Partition, which is created automatically during Windows installation, is cloned automatically.

USAFRet

Titan
When in doubt, I followed my own advice and read the instructions:
Here is the applicable text from the samsung ssd migration manual:

When the Source Drive has two or more volumes (e.g. volumes to which drive letters, such as C:, D:, or E:, are assigned), this software can clone the C: volume on which an operating system is installed and two more volumes. The System Reserved Partition, which is created automatically during Windows installation, is cloned automatically.
The Sys Reserved, that lives on the same drive. No problem.

Doing it from a second drive, or by itself?
Not sure SDM will do that.

I'd have to try it to verify.

The Sys Reserved, that lives on the same drive. No problem.

Doing it from a second drive, or by itself?
Not sure SDM will do that.

I'd have to try it to verify.
Please do so, I do not have the systems to do such a test.
My reading of the manual seems pretty clear that the os can be moved if installed on separate drives.
Doing so can save a user from the hassle of reinstalling apps and settings on a clean install.

USAFRet

Titan
Please do so, I do not have the systems to do such a test.
My reading of the manual seems pretty clear that the os can be moved if installed on separate drives.
Doing so can save a user from the hassle of reinstalling apps and settings on a clean install.
Unfortunately, I don't have a spare Samsung drive for a target. And SDM only works with Samsungs as the target.
Have everything else, though.

SDM for Samsungs, Macrium Reflect for all others.