[SOLVED] OS not detected in nvme, but on CD

Mar 18, 2019
So I just finish building a threadripper build. Zenith extreme MB. And attached an ADATA sw8200 NVME in the dimm.2 slot.

Used an external usb CD reader, pop windows 10 pro and successfully installed OS in my ADATA m2. Checked and it labels MBR under disk properties.

Ejected cd and reader, kept it in my dusty drawers as I hoped I won't ever use it again.

So I restarted my pc for some software updates. Bam, error comes up and says operating system not found. Press any to go to BIOS.

Thing is, bios boot settings reads my ADATA nvme as #1. Everything checks out.

Weird thing is, when I pop back my CD and reader, the windows OS runs! I have no idea what's going on, maybe it was a step I miss? I can't seem to get my head around this.

Any help is appreciated!

Solution
Have you a usb drive ? I suggest creating a media installation tool as set out at the windows site.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

Then follow these steps. In your situation, ensure that the mboard runs in UEFI mode and that you install from the usb device that has UEFI in the label .

Disconnect or disable all hdd /ssd drives but the one where you will install windows.

Insert the USB media tool, with the windows install files, into the board. Next startup and go to the board setup and ensure the board is configured to use UEFI boot settings,

On the motherboard boot device menu, select the command that identifies both the firmware mode and the device. For example, select UEFI: USB Drive or...
Have you a usb drive ? I suggest creating a media installation tool as set out at the windows site.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

Then follow these steps. In your situation, ensure that the mboard runs in UEFI mode and that you install from the usb device that has UEFI in the label .

Disconnect or disable all hdd /ssd drives but the one where you will install windows.

Insert the USB media tool, with the windows install files, into the board. Next startup and go to the board setup and ensure the board is configured to use UEFI boot settings,

On the motherboard boot device menu, select the command that identifies both the firmware mode and the device. For example, select UEFI: USB Drive or Windows Boot Manager: USB and list that device in the first boot slot on the board.
Reboot. Install begins.

When choosing an installation type, select Custom. On new disks, the drive will show a single area of unallocated space. If there are partitions, select each one and then "delete".

Select the unallocated space and click Next. Windows detects that the PC was booted into UEFI mode, partitions the drive using the GPT and begins the installation.

NOTE: Any data on the drive will be lost

Solution
The partition scheme depends on the mboard settings; if the board uses UEFI, then GPT; if one has an older system using a bios, then the boot setting should be set to compatibility /legacy , rather than UEFI boot mode, and the scheme will be mbr

GPT is a better overall scheme but either will do for most purposes. In any event, Windows will decide based on how the system is configured. Just follow the steps I suggested.

Last edited: