Question OS not installed on SSD

Demeter12

Reputable
Jul 8, 2019
I configured a Thinkstation P520c desktop on the Lenovo site with the help of a salesperson and should have gotten some advice before ordering it. When it arrived the Windows 10 OS is installed on the secondary larger drive and not on the 254 gb SSD. I noticed that is a little slow to boot up which is acceptable. I guess it gives me a lot of room since software apps usually install on this drive but I would have preferred the speed. Will this affect programs such as Piosolver which performs complicated mathematical calculations or not? They tell me it can't be changed now. It has 32 gb of RAM

Demeter12

Reputable
Jul 8, 2019
I contacted Lenovo support and they are sending me the Windows 10 recovery media at which point they will walk me through installing it on the correct drive. Thanks very much for your advice as I probably would have just suffered with it being sub optimal. Sending it back would take too long.

I configured a Thinkstation P520c desktop on the Lenovo site with the help of a salesperson and should have gotten some advice before ordering it. When it arrived the Windows 10 OS is installed on the secondary larger drive and not on the 254 gb SSD. I noticed that is a little slow to boot up which is acceptable. I guess it gives me a lot of room since software apps usually install on this drive but I would have preferred the speed. Will this affect programs such as Piosolver which performs complicated mathematical calculations or not? They tell me it can't be changed now. It has 32 gb of RAM

If you did the configuration, did you set the "primary" drive as the solid state or did you maybe order the solid state as the "secondary" drive? For them to install Windows on the SSD it would have had to be put in as the primary drive. It may seem like a mistake, but I have a feeling the system was just ordered with the SSD for a secondary drive not the primary.

Demeter12

Reputable
Jul 8, 2019
It was a few weeks ago and honestly I can't remember but I think the salesperson said I could use either one so I might have chosen the larger one not knowing how it would affect the performance. I think I should have been made aware of it. My old Dell had a 524 gb SSD and even though it's 4 years old when I boot it up it seems fast and silky compared to how the new one is performing. It's more than a few seconds difference in speed and it's not just at boot up it's every single thing that I try to do. All good though if I am able to do an install on the SSD and just transfer everything over.

Demeter12

Reputable
Jul 8, 2019
So I was directed to the Lenovo website to download the Windows 10 recovery media but it told me that my model doesn't qualify for the download. The support center told me at the beginning of last week that they would load onto a usb drive and mail to me but when I followed up later in the week they told me "they were still working on it". It sounds as if they have run into some kind of snag with their system. Is it normal for a computer manufacturer to not provide recovery media for a factory installed Windows system? What happens normally if you have to do a reinstall?

So I was directed to the Lenovo website to download the Windows 10 recovery media but it told me that my model doesn't qualify for the download. The support center told me at the beginning of last week that they would load onto a usb drive and mail to me but when I followed up later in the week they told me "they were still working on it". It sounds as if they have run into some kind of snag with their system. Is it normal for a computer manufacturer to not provide recovery media for a factory installed Windows system? What happens normally if you have to do a reinstall?

Most systems ship with a recovery partition on the drive, and provide a utility to create bootable media with a utility on the system from that.

Demeter12

Reputable
Jul 8, 2019
So Lenovo has been great....they sent me a USB drive with the recovery media on it and are making sure that I get the help that I need to do the fresh install on the SSD. If it turns out that there is a problem with the SSD they will replace it. Amazing!

Demeter12

Reputable
Jul 8, 2019
Thank you, good point. A service technician came to install Windows 10 on the SSD and tried to install a new SSD as well in case it was an issue with the drive. He was unable to do so and didn't know why it wouldn't load. He said that it possibly needed a new motherboard as well. At this point I decided to return the whole thing since I couldn't understand why this would be necessary. I have installed or reinstalled Windows many times in the past with other computers.....why should it be this difficult and why would major components have to be replaced? I need to have a dependable desktop for work so I returned it and limped along with my old desktop until a new one arrived.

Lenovo did process my return since it was within the return period but they received it July 31st and I received my refund August 24th after following up twice. I'm sorry it didn't work out since it was a powerful system for a good price but something clearly wasn't right.

TRENDING THREADS