OS on external USB HDD

Rajesh_5

Reputable
Oct 11, 2015
Hello - I've got a 2TB "WD My Passport Ultra" external disk. This can be connected to a computer with a USB cable. I have been using this as a backup drive for a few months now. HOwever, won't need this drive as a backup solution any longer. I've been wondering for a few days now if I can run Centos/Ubuntu on this. I intend to use the OS on this disk primarily for development work (Code development as a programmer). My work would involve large amount of reads off the disk & sdecent amount of writes.

I wonder if the external HDD is good as the HDD that is installed on the system? Also, would the disk whose information I've detailed survive my nature of work? If not, what disk ( Please refer me to some web link- Brand & type like Samsung SATA3 bla bla) should I look at for this type of an activity?

Please note, I'm in need of an external disk so that I can carry the disk around, plug it to any system anywhere anytime & continue working.

Solution
Yes, it's possible to use an external HD for the purposes you've outlined, but the speed of the external HD will be quite a bit slower -- especially so because it's not an SSD and transfers are over USB.

itmoba

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
Yes, it's possible to use an external HD for the purposes you've outlined, but the speed of the external HD will be quite a bit slower -- especially so because it's not an SSD and transfers are over USB.

Solution