OS on m.2 ssd 128gb + 5400rpm hdd or 7200rpm hdd or 2.5" ssd storage drive on a laptop

sorb80

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
Hi there,
I'm not that tech savvy so excuse me if this is an obvious question. I'm considering buying an Ultrabook called Asus Zenbook UX310UA i5 6200U, 128 gb m.2 ssd, 8gb ram. So the Win 10 OS will be on the m.2 ssd. There is an additional empty 2.5" slot where one can add an additional storage drive. What would be the best option for the additional storage drive?

1. 1tb 5400 rpm hdd or
2. 1tb 7200 rpm hdd or
3. 500gb 2.5" ssd

Which option would help with laptop battery life (48W battery)? Also, the storage drive will be used for storing media files, but also some basic light video editing. There is no dedicated graphics card. But i might add another 8gb ram, making it 16gb in total.
Also, not so bothered about getting 1tb hdd or 500gb ssd. Space wise, either would be fine by me, and the ssd option being better if it helped with the video editing and battery life?

Also, if I opted only between the 5400 rpm hdd and the 7200 rpm hdd, which one would drain the laptop battery faster and consume more power?

Thanks very much :)
Sorb

USAFRet

Titan
Personally, I wouldn't buy a new system with only a 128GB boot drive. It works, but is really too small.
What is their price to change that to a 250GB drive?

And SSD of any type? Absolutely yes.
A 128GB drive? Not really.

Secondary storage? Whatever fits the budget.

sorb80

Commendable
Jan 9, 2017
Thanks for the replies so far. USAFRet...I agree about a 128gb boot drive being small. But the other option I came across is 256gb m.2 ssd + 500 gb 5400 rpm preinstalled...but they're charging way too much for that. It would be far cheaper for me to buy & upgrade myself.
I figured if I got a 500gb ssd as secondary storage, then could always use some of that space for programs incase 128gb wasn't enough. Or in the future could always buy a bigger m.2 ssd myself to replace the 128gb. That would of course involve me reinstalling win 10 again.
This wont be my main pc...I have a desktop pc that I tend to use at home, so aim was to try getting a small but reasonably powerful, portable device with enough storage, a bit of battery life & usable for light video editing if need be.