OS Recovery Image @ hard drive crash

incabhilash

Reputable
Nov 25, 2014
I have purchased a new laptop lenovo flex 2 14. in which windows 8.1 is preloaded. After 10 days of intense using the hard drive crashed.
When i was using the OS was hanged. So after waiting for 15 min i have tried Ctrl+alt+Del to kill all the task and restart the system. then a message shown Computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. sending report to Microsoft. a blue screen appears i have waited 20 min but no response occurred. so i rested the system forcefully by longer pressing the power button. After that when the system restarted it automatically redirected to boot menu
but didn't load windows. the problem persists till now.

According to the lenovo care the hard drive is crashed. But the hard drive is still detected by the OS. But doesn't loads the OS and redirected to boot menu automatically. They asked to replace the hard drive. Unfortunately i haven't created a backup image of the OS. Because i didn't except the hard drive will crash in 10 days.
Now in the case My Genuine Os will be lost after replacing the hard drive. And i would have to purchase a new one. So is there any way to recover the os? or how to get a genune os in my laptop?

Is there a os problem or hard drive problem?

Reyaz123

Admirable
I'm surprised they gave you such a lazy answer to replace your entire hard drive.
Since you haven't created a backup image of the OS, you could search the internet for an ISO for your exact version of windows that came with your pc (example Windows 8.1 pro 64-bit iso)

Burn this iso to a disc using imgburn, or to a usb using rufus (keep in mind sometimes it wouldn't boot properly from a usb, you will need to modify bios settings to get it to work like enabling usb legacy devices and disabling secure boot)

After creating a bootable Windows setup disc/usb The following could be one of the problems you have, your hard drive may be fine
1.Your boot files are corrupted on your Hard drive. Which OS you have, insert a recovery disc or cd, try booting from it,
2.if there is a repair computer option, open up a command prompt and type these in

bootrec /fixmbr
bootrec /fixboot
bootrec /rebuildbcd
reboot and see if it still gives this error.

Otherwise, simply reinstall windows to that hard drive through the setup file on the usb/disc (when selecting the correct and/or exact version of windows to install, it would automatically input the product key that came with your pc, so you can complete the reinstallation)

To confirm if your hard drive is failing, run a smart test on it. If it passes all tests, you are good to go
http://www.howtogeek.com/134735/how-to-see-if-your-hard-drive-is-dying/

If not, yes replace your hard drive, call microsoft and let them know that you are buying a new hard drive and the details of your issue. They may/may not help you on it, but its worth avoiding to purchase the same OS again

incabhilash

Reputable
Nov 25, 2014
thanks for ur support.
As the pc is uefi enabled, windows get automatically activated when same version of windows installed.so no need of worrying abt the os. the rw head of the hard drive is not working properly. so i decided it would be better to utilize the warranty.
this is what i did after replacing hard drive.

i created a recovery media of the same os(in my case win 8.1 sl 64bit) using Microsoft's media creation tool.
i get the link contacting Microsoft support center using chat. i downloaded the iso image of the os. then created a bootable media using rufus. installed the os enabling the uefi from boot menu. and windows get automatically acivated.
after that upgraded to win 8.1 pro by paying 99$. then upgraded to win 10 pro for free. Now it works fine.