[SOLVED] OS SSD not detected by BIOS

Apr 24, 2019
Hi,

So my graphics card died (a 2.5 year old 1070) emitting a spark and some smoke.

I replaced it with an older Radeon 6959 to test that there was no damage to any other components, and it loaded to the windows 10 login screen no problem. I shut it down and removed the gfx card.

I then immediately bought a new 2070 graphics card, plugged it in and now its prompting me to 're-boot and select boot device'.

The BIOS detects 1 of my 2 SSDs but not the OS loaded SSD.

I replaced the SATA cable for the OS SSD; no luck. Tried switching the Cables to different SATA ports, still no luck.

It leads me to believe the OS SSD is corrupted, but it worked with the 6950, and I didn't use it until I plugged in the new gtx card.

Any suggestions to what I can try to diagnose the issue?

Edit: I'm using two Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1 TB

Last edited:
Solution
It doesn't show up in Disk Management, Samsung Magician can't detect it..
then it's dead, I'm afraid.

Last resort would be performing secure erase on the drive. But if Samsung Magician doesn't detect it, then I'm not sure it's possible.
Apr 24, 2019
Attempting to do so now with Windows install USB. Now it is stuck at a screen with the windows logo, and a spinning 'loading' image (has been like this for 30 minutes)

Are there configs in the BIOS I need to consider given Windows has already been installed on the PC prior?

Apr 24, 2019
Thanks for the prompt response - that worked and installation has proceeded. I'll check back once I've managed to complete the setup.

I do want to salvage wants on the drive if possible, but fearing for the worst at this stage.

Apr 24, 2019
Have completed the installation.

With the failed SSD disconnected, every works as expected (A fresh install on the working drive).
With the failed SSD connected, I was able to start up with the new windows install, but couldn't see the failed SSD. It also hung up on shutdown.
I then put the working SSD ahead in the BOOT order, but got stuck never-ending Windows loading screen again.

1. Do you have any recommendations on how to diagnose the failed SSD, or what might be wrong?
  2. At this stage I'm open to reformatting the failed SSD; is this possible in the apparent corrupted state?
  3. Also, is it possible that the failed SSD could cause or has caused issues with any of the other hardware?
Apologies for the slew of questions - trying to figure out whats the best course of action from here.