OS to SSD

Harreh

Reputable
Oct 17, 2014
Is there a way to move only my OS (Windows 10 64 bit) from my 1TB hard drive to a new smaller sized SSD (250gb), I heard you had to clone everything from the original HDD? I cant afford a 1TB SSD and dont wanna be buying a new windows licence key and be doing a clean install on the SSD as I've already brought it (windows 7) and i believe its only one install. Is there any way around this?? Thanks.

Solution

"Only the OS" ?
No. There is no application that I know of that will do that.

Your Win 7 WILL install on a new drive, in the same system, no problem. The "one install" refers to "one system". A new drive is no problem.

USAFRet

Titan

"Only the OS" ?
No. There is no application that I know of that will do that.

Your Win 7 WILL install on a new drive, in the same system, no problem. The "one install" refers to "one system". A new drive is no problem.

Solution
Any apps that use the registry must move along with the os to a new windows C drive.
If , after excluding large sequential folders such as videos there is sufficient room, you can do it using the free Samsung ssd migration aid.
It will move the windows C drive to one of their ssd devices.
The utility has the option to exclude from the move a list of folders.

If you do decide to do a new windows 7 install, you will not need a new windows license. It is tied to the motherboard if anything.