[SOLVED] OS to SSD

rik220

Honorable
Feb 25, 2015
Hi all,

My OS is currently on my HDD.

I have a 128gb SSD which I want my OS on. Whats the best way to do this?

Can I unplug my HDD, boot and install clean win10 onto my SSD, set this as my primary boot and then just delete windows files from my HDD through file explorer? Or will the HDD not be seen like that without being formatted? All my games and data are on my HDD so would rather not loose them.

Thanks,
Rick

Solution
With that disparity of data and drive size, migration from old to new is off the table.

After the new OS install on the new drive, you can tell the new Steam client where those games reside on teh old drive.

USAFRet

Titan
If you do a clean install on the new SSD< you can't use the applications on the old drive.
Steam and Origin games, yes.
Regular applications, no.

How much space is consumed on the current C drive?
What is the make/model of the new SSD?

rik220

Honorable
Feb 25, 2015
Its steam games I only have. Application wise it would be Creo elements and Photoshop the big ones but I could always reinstall these and my config file for creo will be accessible?

It's a Integral 240GB P Series 5 . Thought it was 128gb. I've actually had it installed in the PC since May and had forgotten about it!

Current C drive: 240gb free of 930gb.

USAFRet

Titan
With that disparity of data and drive size, migration from old to new is off the table.

After the new OS install on the new drive, you can tell the new Steam client where those games reside on teh old drive.

Reactions: rik220
Solution