[SOLVED] OS wasn't found error once I disconnect my EMPTY HDD, my OS is on SSD.

siqural

Commendable
Dec 9, 2017
Hello, today I've bought new SSD, so I connected it and meanwhile I have disconnected my OLD 500 GB HDD from my PC which was completely empty, nothing on it. Once I did it my PC won't boot and it's showing error with "OS wasn't found, try disconnecting other drives, bla, bla" which was really strange, since my OS is on my 128 GB SSD. I've tried the comand prompt things from YouTube, but didn't work.

Once I connected my HDD again it's working properly again.
Do anyone of you had this problem or know how can I solve it without formatting my PC?

Solution
I don't really want to lose my all files from my other drives, so I can disconnect them and connect them after windows install and hopefully after I connect them I'll have all my files back again

Correct, the HDD will effectively be plug and play.

Can't guarantee that my initial post IS the solution to YOUR problem, but it is certainly the first thing I would do as it quite commonly happens, and it is best practice to remove all other storage devices whilst installing windows. Then you can retry and see.

Then if all goes well, you can reinstall your HDD as a secondary drive and access all the files on it.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
I would reinstall the OS with ONLY the SSD installed. Then reinstall the HDD after you confirmed that you can boot into windows.

Downfall of windows installation is it can sometimes create critical files on both drives, even when you only select one of them to install on. So when it comes to boot, it needs both drives present.

siqural

Commendable
Dec 9, 2017
That's really sad though.

So, one more question :

Can I disconnect my other drives and connect only my new Nvme M.2 SSD?
I don't really want to lose my all files from my other drives, so I can disconnect them and connect them after windows install and hopefully after I connect them I'll have all my files back again

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador

Correct, the HDD will effectively be plug and play.

Can't guarantee that my initial post IS the solution to YOUR problem, but it is certainly the first thing I would do as it quite commonly happens, and it is best practice to remove all other storage devices whilst installing windows. Then you can retry and see.

Then if all goes well, you can reinstall your HDD as a secondary drive and access all the files on it.

Reactions: siqural
Solution