Stewiedoge

Reputable
Dec 19, 2015
Greetings,

I need some clarification on a few things operating system related. Currently I am looking for a OS for my new build that consist of:

CPU: Intel 6500
GPU: R9 390 PCS+
Mobo: ASRock Pro4/d3
RAM: 8 gigs (2x4) Mushkin DDR3L
PSU: 650 Watts Bronze Certified

I am a student and have access to free copies of Windows 8.1 Embedded Industry Pro with Update, Windows Embedded Compact 2013, Windows 2012 Server, Windows 2012 Server R2 with Update, Windows 7 Embedded Compact, and Windows 7 Embedded Standard.

I was able to build this PC for $700, and expected to be able to use my Windows 10 upgrade on it. Unknown to me at the time, my version of windows 7 was OEM; therefore I am unable to transfer it to another motherboard. I am also unsure if my current motherboard supports all these types of Windows.

Currently I am mainly look at Windows 8.1 Embedded Industry Pro with Update as a free option, but if someone could go through and explain to me the differences among the OS I would appreciate and consider another.

If anyone knows a way someone on a budget like myself could purchases Windows 10 for $60 or less (Not OEM) or even get it free I would greatly appreciate.

My main question is can I do everything Windows 8.1 Pro can with Windows 8.1 Embedded Industry Pro with Update, and is Windows 10 worth the $100 price tag with the addition of Directx12.

Thank you very much

Solution
We don't know which chipset your motherboard runs off and is powering the motherboard. Is it the B150 or the Z170 version?

There is a way to get lower priced keys off the internet but the issue is you may get burned and there is a reason the retail software cost as much as they do. Think of it this way, the amount of hours that went into coding a piece of software is what translates into the cost of such a software. Arguably that will equate to millions but the software was developed by a team spanning more than one continent.

Here are some reading materials for your versions
Windows Embedded Industry
Windows 10 Editions with Upgrade Matrix
Upgrade Windows Embedded devices to Windows 10

and...

Lutfij

Titan
We don't know which chipset your motherboard runs off and is powering the motherboard. Is it the B150 or the Z170 version?

There is a way to get lower priced keys off the internet but the issue is you may get burned and there is a reason the retail software cost as much as they do. Think of it this way, the amount of hours that went into coding a piece of software is what translates into the cost of such a software. Arguably that will equate to millions but the software was developed by a team spanning more than one continent.

Here are some reading materials for your versions
Windows Embedded Industry
Windows 10 Editions with Upgrade Matrix
Upgrade Windows Embedded devices to Windows 10

and this post will sum up what most will have to say.

If you ask me, Windows 10 is a little too buggy to run on any machine right now, and your version of Windows 7 if it's stable and is able to cut your cheese then wait out for another 6 or so months when you get news of no issues from Windows 10's end. Most often hardware are being broken by a glitchy new OS and the OS is being broken for having new hardware drivers/BIOS's to work with. In fact Windows 10 has known to exhibit breaking down over time if not then through the automatic OS updates.

Embedded industry solutions are meant for small devices and have a minimum threshold which in itself will create a bottleneck for enthusiast grade hardware. Since the OS is small, there is little hardware necessities for systems running embedded solutions.

Hope this helps.

Solution

You do NOT have a "free copy" of any of those. The OS is only valid as a second OS on a machine that already has a valid Windows license. Read the actual terms, it's pretty clear about it.

Often if your school has MSDN they also have cheap OS purchase options for students. Normally it's something like $25-30 bucks for Pro versions (likely now upgraded to full EDU version though). Talk to your local student store and tech centers to see if they have purchase options.

TRENDING THREADS