Question OS Wont Recognize Second M2 Drive

Feb 5, 2022
Hello All,

Got my new computer up and running finally (woohoo, required a BIOS flashback to even turn the thing on). That said, the only issue I'm having is related to M2 drives, and no surprise as it's my first time using them.

Current setup is:
ASUS ROG STRIX 570 E-Gaming AM4 mobo
5900x CPU
32 GB GSkill Trident
980 Plus EVO (currently running the OS/working fine) - 1 gig.
970 EVO (took out, but initially was installed during setup). - 1 gig.
MSI 970 GTX (will put in the 3090 tomorrow now that everything is running)
1000w EVGA PSU

So the issue is in disk management disk 0 (which I assume is the 980PLUS) showed up, but disk 1 or I'm assuming the 970 EVO does not show up. I originally put in my 980 PLUS and 970 EVO. The 980 PLUS is installed in the M2 slot nearest to the CPU, and the 970 was in the second M2 slot. My goal is to have the 980 PLUS install games, the OS, etc. And the 970 would mainly be for storage (or low performance games).

The BIOS detected both drives, only allowed boot option on the 980 PLUS which is fine. When I got to windows, the device manager initially recognized both the 970 EVO and 980 EVO PLUS, so the OS and BIOS are picking up the hardware. That said, when I go to disk management, only disk 0 is showing which is the 980 PLUS and there's no option to add the 970 EVO as a separate drive to store data/folders, whatever.

Any thoughts? I dug around in the BIOS but didn't see options to change anything to PCIE, etc. Again both hard drives showed up in various areas of the BIOS but for some reason the OS won't add it. Also

In the interim, I removed the 970 EVO and the computer still boots fine. Strangely enough, when I right clicked the C drive, under hardware it showed BOTH the 970 EVO and 980 EVO PLUS, like both drives were somehow being shared for C drive space, I found that odd.

Lutfij

Titan
Samsung never made a 980 Plus Evo SSD, they do however have a 980 Pro and the vanilla 980. They also have a 970 Evo Plus apart from the 970 Evo. The latter needs an NVMe driver which is found on Samsung's support page for said SSD. As for the motherboard, what BISO version are you on at the moment of writing? Speaking of OS, what OS are you working with? If you're on Windows 10, what version(not edition) of the OS are you on?

Reactions: Sharkonabicycle
Strangely enough, when I right clicked the C drive, under hardware it showed BOTH the 970 EVO and 980 EVO PLUS, like both drives were somehow being shared for C drive space, I found that odd.
Check windows storage spaces.
If 970 evo appears there, then remove it from storage pool and delete the pool.

Show screenshots:
Disk Management,​
Device Manager (disk drives section and storage controllers sections expanded),​
windows storage spaces.​
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Reactions: Sharkonabicycle
Feb 5, 2022
Samsung never made a 980 Plus Evo SSD, they do however have a 980 Pro and the vanilla 980. They also have a 970 Evo Plus apart from the 970 Evo. The latter needs an NVMe driver which is found on Samsung's support page for said SSD. As for the motherboard, what BISO version are you on at the moment of writing? Speaking of OS, what OS are you working with? If you're on Windows 10, what version(not edition) of the OS are you on?

You're correct on the 980 PRO, sorry about that. I have the 980 PRO and 970 EVO (not PRO/plus, etc.).

I am on Windows 10 PRO (Nov 21 release) and the latest BIOS version that I downloaded straight from ASUS (Version 4021, 8/26/21 update) today (actually required to get the machine to even post).

I did not try downloading the 970 EVO driver but I can try that (https://semiconductor.samsung.com/consumer-storage/support/tools/) on my next boot. It seems to have the drivers already installed and Windows/BIOS recognize it, but perhaps it's not working as intended.

Feb 5, 2022
Check windows storage spaces.
If 970 evo appears there, then remove it from storage pool and delete the pool.

Show screenshots:
Disk Management,​
Device Manager (disk drives section and storage controllers sections expanded),​
windows storage spaces.​
(upload to imgur.com and post link)

Thanks SkyNet,

Done playing with the new comp tonight. Going to eat dinner, grab files/stuff off old computer so I can transfer tomorrow. Also have to clean up all the wiring and install the 3090 RTX. I was able to get Windows up and running and noticed this as really the only problem.

Lutfij said the 970 EVO also needs a driver from Samsung's site which I certainly never installed, so perhaps that's the issue. I can post screenshots tomorrow once I get everything up and running (maybe removing and reinstalling the 970 will fix though). On your storage spaces comment when I went in that section via control panel, I do recall something being there... maybe that was it and to your point delete it. I seem to recall it saying 970 EVO. I'll reinstall it and check tomorrow and get back to this thread. Thanks for the quick reply.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2022
@SkyNetRising @Lutfij

Thanks Skynet. You were right, I went into Control panel and storage spaces and my 970 EVO was being recognized as a pool. I deleted it from the storage pool and then was able to add it normally via disk management and format as the lettered drive to use for normal files/games, whatever.

Thanks so much! First time using NVME M2 drives, maybe it just defaults that way? Either way once you clarified and I knew what to look for it took all over 30 seconds to setup how I wanted it. Cheers!:beercheers: