[SOLVED] OS X Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillipreilly707

Reputable
Apr 25, 2015
I am re-installing Snow leopard after using DBAN to wipe my hard drive (i had a virus).
However when i get to "select the hard drive to install OS on" nothing is there, which is normal as your have to go to Disk Utility to format it, however when i go to Disk utility all there is, is my USB which i am using to install the OS from (my computer has no disk drive).

Advice Please.

Solution
If you are no tech wizz then I would forget about trying to install OS X on a non-Apple computer. (And there is no doubt whatsoever that the computer that you are describing is not an Apple Macintosh.) Take it to a shop, or get a knowledgeable friend to help you install Windows or Linux on it.
Hi

hard disk appearing in bios does not mean hard disk is working correctly especially as OS/X cant see the hard drive.

If Linux based dban worked and can see the hard drive on a Mac and erase it then
try another Linux based utility such as GParted to see if hard drive is present and can be partitioned.

It probably was not necessary to use dban, you could have used a utility to wipe the begining of the hard drive .
Or remove all partitions and then re create them.

Just to confirm you are using a Apple Intel Mac not a Hackingtosh (Intel PC with Mac OS X)

regards
Mike Barnes

JustSomeJoe

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
Run disk utilities from the installer (menu bar), partition and format then you should be able to select the disk and install.

PS.
You don't need dban, the OS X Installer disk utilities already has a disk wipe option.

phillipreilly707

Reputable
Apr 25, 2015
well, mine does, it says Phoenix or something i bought it pre-owned like 2 years ago.

and remember disk utility does not have my hard drive there the only thing there is, is my usb which had the DMG image on it.

McHenryB

Admirable

I think we have now established that you are working with a Hackintosh rather than a genuine Apple Macintosh. Installation of OS X on non-Apple equipment is rather more complicated than the real thing and it is a little hazy as to whether the rules of this web site allow detailed discussion of this.

So, at this point, I'll leave this thread to others.

McHenryB

Admirable
If you are no tech wizz then I would forget about trying to install OS X on a non-Apple computer. (And there is no doubt whatsoever that the computer that you are describing is not an Apple Macintosh.) Take it to a shop, or get a knowledgeable friend to help you install Windows or Linux on it.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.