Ossia's 'Cota' Technology Promises Wireless Charging Up To 30 Feet Via Wi-Fi Or Bluetooth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 12, 2015
Looks like a great technology and I'm looking foward to it, but I have some concerns.
- Can it damage other electronics like a tv or a computer?
- Will it shorten the battery life of my phone? ( specially important for integrated battery phones )
- What price range are we talking about?

PaulBags

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2015
I was just thinking the other day 'wireless charging is pointless unless I can move around'. If I have to leave my phone in one place, why not plug it in and charge it faster?

My 2m charging cable let's me sit on the couch while charging at full speed, I can duel screen & use my phone as a remote. At 30% efficency my phone would complain about the power draw with the screen on and tell me I need to stop using it if I want it to charge, so until they get that efficency up it is, to me, a waste of money.

And DECREASING battery size? NOPE! Manufactuors: DON'T LISTEN!

Shawn Dream

Reputable
Apr 2, 2015
Whoever wrote this article needs to do better independent research. Both modern wall wart chargers and Qi standard charging pads do NOT continue to waste power when the device is charged. And this is easy to test simply by feeling the charger. If it's cool, it's not wasting much energy.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Frugal/comments/19pyin/dont_bother_unplugging_unused_chargers_to_save/

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
So 72Wh / 24hr = 3Wh an hour which would charge a Galaxy Note 4 in 3.5hrs? Or is that 72Wh before you subtract the 30% efficiency? Which would mean charging a Note 4 in 10.5hrs from dead or 5hrs from a half charged state.
If it could charge my wireless headphones then that would be all I care about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS