OSVR Is A Cheaper Alternative For PC Connected VR, Available Now, If You Can Hack It

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddybody

Distinguished
Seems like a poor use of money...buying into some unknown headset with non standard (resolution and refresh rate of Rift/Vive) specs. I'd worry that not only would Rift/Vive titles be incompatible (ergo losing the vast majority of VRs library), but that it's 60hz refresh rate and sub par tracking would make them $300.00 "puke goggles"

DrakeFS

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014
This is a Dev Kit (per razors site), the consumer version will probably be more inline with Rift\Vive specs. I am a bit wary of suggesting consumers purchase Dev Kits that may not be supported once the retail version goes live.

kyle382

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
I really like the idea of buying a modular kit like this for a cheaper entry price. The 60hz thing seems like a deal breaker, but I have not tried it personally.

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

If you suffer from motion sickness than its probably not for you.
I didn't have a problem with it myself though.

purifol

Reputable
Jan 14, 2016
This is a pretty ridiculous article, for a start the OSVR dev kit screen spec is worse than an Rift DK2, 60hz vs the far smoother 75hz and no competition to 90hz of the CV1. The writer suggests the screen is better because it is OLED, but so is the DK2 and the CV1 hasn't had any proper reviews yet. But the main issue is that their is far more content available for the DK2 and that means the CV1 will be well supported by modders getting everything to work with it.

Wrun__

Reputable
Jan 14, 2016
Screen operates at 120Hz. Please read up before posting.

Edit: The lack of understanding the difference of fps and Hz in the article/comments is baffling.

G

i think this OSVR going to the right direction using leap motion, let's hope they do it right, really disappointed by that selling out bastards at oculus, hope they rot in hell

EstebanGomez

Honorable
Sep 18, 2013
Man do people not know how to read? The display is 120hz, not 60 hz. Also no mention of the screen diffusion film either? Which basically removes the screen door effect.

thed00d

Reputable
Jan 16, 2016
You guys at tom's Hardware got something wrong. even though the OSVR is indeed designed to run on 60FPS; since the 1.3 Upgrade the display runs in 120Hz (as it says in the official news-post regarding the 1.3 Upgrade in October: "The display module has been upgraded to a FULL HD 5.5” 120hz silver screen OLED display for low persistence for clearer and brighter images running at 60fps.")

To make this clear: the Rift runs in only 90Hz, the OSVR got a higher refresh rate. no motion sickness on this device.

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
You guys at tom's Hardware got something wrong. even though the OSVR is indeed designed to run on 60FPS; since the 1.3 Upgrade the display runs in 120Hz (as it says in the official news-post regarding the 1.3 Upgrade in October: "The display module has been upgraded to a FULL HD 5.5” 120hz silver screen OLED display for low persistence for clearer and brighter images running at 60fps.")

To make this clear: the Rift runs in only 90Hz, the OSVR got a higher refresh rate. no motion sickness on this device.

sorry you cant do 60 FPS on a 120hz device and get 120hz performance. What OSVR is doing is doubling frames, to equal 120 FPS using 60FPS of input. This will not help the motion sickness at all, unless your pc can push 120 FPS on a title, then the 120hz will work.

FPS does equal hz. Most monitors are 60hz for a reason. 60 FPS is targeted for windows desktop and games.

Nathancasey

Reputable
Aug 26, 2015
Seems like a poor use of money...buying into some unknown headset with non standard (resolution and refresh rate of Rift/Vive) specs. I'd worry that not only would Rift/Vive titles be incompatible (ergo losing the vast majority of VRs library), but that it's 60hz refresh rate and sub par tracking would make them $300.00 "puke
60hz is fine. I've used the gear vr at 60hz and it was great. Apparently they have some reprojection technolodgy which simulates 120 or 240 hz though but idk if that will do much. Even then 60hz is just fine. What are "nonstandard specs"? Wow oculus has a tiny bit higher res wow.

60FPS

I'm trying to find EXACT specs, but it's probably a 120Hz input signal requirement to update EACH EYE at 60Hz.

Regardless, the sit does state "60FPS" so it is 2/3rds that of the recommended 90FPS the Oculus Rift has.

60FPS

I'm trying to find EXACT specs, but it's probably a 120Hz input signal requirement to update EACH EYE at 60Hz.

Regardless, the sit does state "60FPS" so it is 2/3rds that of the recommended 90FPS the Oculus Rift has.

60FPS

Status
Not open for further replies.