Discussion OSX Lion Through App Store

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Is anyone else annoyed that OSX Lion will be distributed via the Mac App Store only? :heink:

This alienates those without broadband, and those who didn't upgrade to Snow Leopard (as you have to have Snow Leopard to have access to the App Store). What about users who want their OS backed-up to physical media instead of automatically installed via some remote server? I'm not in either of these situations and I personally would choose to download via the App Store but I do know others Mac users in these situations.

Will Apple continue to make Snow Leopard available so users of Tiger and Leopard can add the App Store or will these modern computers simply be blocked out of the upgrade path Apple has put into place?

JustSomeJoe

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
Was following the highlights on another site...
It's not a problem for me but I can see a lot of people getting a bit pi$$ed, there are several countries where the word "broadband" doesn't exist; at a guess a number of "local" Computer stores could do a good business selling DVD copies (through the back door).

Hmmm, that gives me an idea...

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
I wonder if you can buy this Lion OS in the Apple Reseller if you do not own a credit card like I do? Will the price be the same or higher? thanks marv

berwicke

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
I can't believ that they won't offer a Disc version of it. I don't want to pay for something and then not be able to physically hold it in my hand, i feel like i'm being cheated. maybe if we all strike and vow not to buy it unless it's sold simultaneously in stores on DVD then they will release it, there's still plenty of time it doesn't come out for over a month now.

But what about users with limited data allowances, users with slow Internet access, users who have not upgraded to Snow Leopard? How is it to their benefit that they will be unable to upgrade their OS? Surely it would be of more benefit to users to offer downloads or physical media (like a certain other company does with their OS upgrades).

As far as I am concerned it's annoying enough that my six-year old Mac won't run Snow Leopard, let alone further upgrades to the OS. At least my Windows and Linux PCs don't suffer from that built-in obsolescence.

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
Now that Apple will be pushing their iCloud, I honestly don't think the company actually cares about consumers who don't have access to high speed internet or who have data allowances. Macintosh computers have never been marketed to the working class demographic and they aren't about to start now.

ijack,
I'm sure your six-year old Windows and Linux PCs have problems running a lot of things too.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Do you really think Apple cares if we strike or not? we are talking about a billion dollar company all over the world.I agree with you it sucks where you have to buy it through the Apps Store.

JustSomeJoe

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
I can't see Apple shipping new machines with Snow Leopard and instructions to down-load Lion from the App store; The Upgrade might only be from the App store, but unless Apple have had a major change in policy all new machines usualy come with an OS install disk, supplying Snow Leopard with a new machine and instructions to down-load Lion just won't cut it.

Both my local (independant) Apple resellers are intending to offer an upgrade service to customers with slow/limmited Internet access; from a friend who works for one of them, they see Apple as a growing business area and are very keen to get people in through the door.

@wildwell- nothing that I've encountered yet. The basic architecture of the PC hasn't changed much over the past five years. It's not as if the processor architecture has changed, or anything like that.

berwicke

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
so is this download also a "upgrade only'' because every time i get a new release of os x i want to do a clean install and start over. does this prohibit me from doing that? and if theres no reinstall discs shipping with new computers then this is a bit ridiculous don't you all agree?

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
I agree this sucks!Apple only cares about themselves as I see now from this.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
That is Apple's marketing ploy to sell more computers and get new customers.Screw the old customers!

wildwell

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2009
I see that Apple WILL provide OSX Lion through their retail stores in addition to the online App Store. It will be sold on USB jump drives for about $80.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
I agree this stinks on Apple's part completely.It definitely come out on a DVD not just the Apps Store.

Supermuncher85

Distinguished
Well you can burn it onto a DVD no problem. I'm still waiting a few days for them to fix any bugs, and then I'll download it and burn a cd so I can install it onto the 7 macs here. Cause yeah I'm not going to download that 4gig file 7 times from the app store.

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Another rip off on Apple's part $80.00 they should charge $30.00!

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
It will sell for $69.00 in August.Double the price of Lion selling now.

Status
Not open for further replies.