OSX Mountain Lion Coming Next Month for $20

Status
Not open for further replies.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
does the OS have any sort of upgrade other than the load of shovelware mentioned in the article? all of the apps in the article really should be free, i dont see any point of paying $20 if theres no noticable improvement over the other OS.

porterohana

Honorable
Jun 11, 2012
I'm really hoping Mountain Lion fixes the WiFi issues that Lion created. I know that a lot of people were PO'ed about that and a fix never really came.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
I remember when I dropped 5k on a Apple Mac (Dual Chip 1.0 Ghz PowerMac G4) and 3 weeks later they released the G5. Then after saving up all my money to finally get the quad core G5 (liquid cooled) they released the Intel Mac (within the year) throwing another 3k out the window.

Now I am smart and understand that Apple is where Apple is because people like choice. Apple doesn't provide much of anything other than a pretty user interface and satisfaction for people to think they used the hard earned parents cash, intelligently(which they didnt).

Now I am on Linux (Debian - Testing), have ditched all my Windows Machines and Keep my MAC around should there be some broken app that I need to work with. Since Apple has screwed most of it's customer base and replaced them with teenagers and early tweenty-ers, eventually Apple is going to run out of people to screw.

Look at the iPhone. Drop it once and you are out 600-800 dollars, no matter what, not to mention it's 80 USD a month. No thank you. Linux (which Android runs on top of) is by far becoming one of the most widely used Operating Systems on the planet (mainframes excluded).

Apple addicts (because they are blinded to the fact that their overpriced product isn't worth the money. Virus' come from people that typically don't know any better when it comes to computers...it will happen to MAC OS X soon, just watch) look at an article listed above and think "wow this is great. These updates are worth 20 dollars easily". When the rational, smart, conscience reader says "wow those updates really aren't much...they expect people to pay for that?".

Millions, yes Millions of people are about to be screwed when Apple finally screws over their loyal fans by cutting out .Mac for iCloud. Apple is quickly becoming a phone company and less a computer operating system company. They are light years behind the competition on security, admistration and program development to Linux, Unix, AS/400, Microsoft Windows. Do you think Apple runs it corporate headquarters on Apple Macintosh machines? Nope. How about Microsoft? Nope...

leongrado

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
I have a Windows gaming system and a Macbook machine (Macbook air). They're both good in their own way. Windows allows much more compatibility and ease of manipulation of files and also a lot cheaper for their performance. Macs on the other hand are extremely easy to use, "feels" great, and much more reliable especially as the years go by when a Windows machine would start to slow down. I can see the arguments that Windows users make against Macs but the truth is, anyone who thinks Macs suck and vice versa are biased fools. For the casual user who simply surf the web and work with word documents (you know the people who will never go on Tom's Hardware or any technology site) Macs are more than enough. Having a gaming PC won't benefit them at all. As for price, yes Macs probably are overpriced but you're buying the Brand name. I don't hear many girls complaining about Louis Vuitton bags (girls who can actually afford them at is).

Apple would be making more money if it were not so locked down and more open. If they would allow it to be used on normal PCs without the silly bios that Apple uses it would be more than just 10% of the market even with all the flaws and nearly total lack of security. Sure $20 for a legit os license and some quick hacks it will run on a typical pc but most these days barely even know how to use windows let alone command line linux. Most programers it seams don't even know their own gear or how to build their own workstations.

[citation][nom]sceen311[/nom]You can buy a full fledge Mac OS for $30 right moew! no previous software required. I'm assuming the same will be true for Mountain Lion except it will only cost $20's. So not really an update if it doesn't require already owning other software!Also, I'm sorry Microsoft can't develop an decent enough OS that they don't need to try and revamp the whole thing every few years![/citation]

the reason why a base windows cost cost more, is because of compatibility and services. on an osx based computer, it requires a specifically built computer. Apple current gen computers do not support AMD processors, and its motherboards are limited to a specific build. Apple does not have to worry about having to go through several 3rd party companies because its design only to be a casual consumer based product. Apple doesn't plan to make any Computer Aided Design programs, which forces engineers to use windows, which allows windows to pump the price high. Windows can because it supports more stuff than apple can. Using an OSX based build, software issues almost never arise because your choice in parts are severely limited. As for windows, it is still good, hence why it has the most consumer share in the market. Microsoft is just experimenting with new ways for the OS to run, which created Windows 8, an entirely new operating system. Its not a requirement to go to windows 8 as a windows user, as windows 7 will likely still be updated with security updates and possibly a service pack.

boogalooelectric

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
[citation][nom]sundragon[/nom]OEM copy of Windows include no direct support from Microsoft, aside from service packs and updates - which OS and Linux do as well. You are supposed to pay for retail copies per the MS scheme. Lastly, When you purchase Mountain Lion, it allows you to call in for help. Try that with Microsoft's OEM copy...[/citation]

I do not need to call in to MS for help because I am not an Apple fanboy therefore I actually understand how my PC works.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
Mac computer spec pricing + Mac OS price = PC computer spec price + windows OS price

Until this equation is equalize I wont be jumping mac at all. Those claiming $20 Mac OS is cheaper have seems to forgot how much more they are paying for the hardware to apple.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
The argument of "Oh, Macs are superior at image editing and video editing" went out the window the moment Apple started repackaging Intel PCs with a proprietary EFI chip and calling them Macs. Now, they are basically just a PC with a pretty looking UNIX-based shell. They now have the same hardware as PCs, sometimes inferior because Nvidia/AMD don't always make the most powerful Quadro/FireGL cards available in Mac versions. And sometimes Apple doesn't offer the absolute latest Intel CPUs/chipsets either. With that in mind, it is virtually impossible for them to be significantly better than Windows systems at image and video editing, now that they use PC hardware.

Matter of fact, I believe the last Photoshop benchmarks showed windows systems to be faster than Mac at a lot of things, due to, I believe, better support for CUDA-accelerated filters and the like.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
The trolling only proves ignorance. Both OSX and Windows are crap considering the resources their companies have. Linux isn't growing strong for having thousands (millions?) of developers and testers worldwide but because Microsoft and Apple didn't invest in innovation, ease to use and optimization the way they could have.

Side note: it's possible to install OSX onto a non-Apple homebuilt PC.

mihaimm

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
I am still amazed at how much garbage people can talk over a product. And without knowing what they actually talk about. Small suggestion... why don't you get into politics? It's the perfect place for flaming, trashing, cursing, etc. even when you have no clue about... well... nothing.

MarioJP

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
[citation][nom]mihaimm[/nom]I am still amazed at how much garbage people can talk over a product. And without knowing what they actually talk about. Small suggestion... why don't you get into politics? It's the perfect place for flaming, trashing, cursing, etc. even when you have no clue about... well... nothing.[/citation]

out of most comments i read so far. This one is one of the best comments because it is soo true. Politics.. don't even get me started LMAO!.

MarioJP

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007
I seriously don't like Macs. But it is a idiot proof computer. Not too much power, just the right amount lol. I am not even going to bother responding about "windows being buggy" because it is a myth. For what Windows supports out of the box is very impressive. If anything Windows is really competing against Linux not Apple. Sooner or later i am going to declare Windows as a true geek OS and then some. Won't be long before you start hearing "get your Geek And Game ON!". And when MS says Windows runs on everything, they are not kidding around.

Second issue with most on this thread, would have to be OS pricing. You can't.. I repeat.. Cannot compare a subsidized pricing scheme to a non subsidized pricing scheme. You need to have a MAC to be able to run any flavor of OSX!. The fact that the Macs are way behind on the hardware front just pushes me away of ever owning a Mac. I am sorry, but Owning a Mac most is likely due to how Apple does things. which is very limiting. So much so that every now and then a mac user needs to install Windows on their closed ecosystem environment. That thing gotta have a Windows. somewhere ;)

What you people are complaining about is one thing i am so glad windows does not act like a Mac. No other OS gives your that much admin power to manipulate files without having to jump through hoops like Linux does and even MAC OSX. Take OS X as an example. Just to show hidden files on the mac requires a terminal command or a special key shortcut which is view while holding down options. Windows its just a setting away!. This is why the market share for windows is at NINETY TO NINETY FIVE PERCENT!.

Linux is too "loose" While OS X is Governed by the "Gatekeeper" But Windows is neither too loose or Governed. It is dynamic. Not only does it cater to the market But the developers as well!.

Case in point. Now that MS has changed their mind about this whole visual studio issue not being free to develop desktops Programs on Windows 8. Lot of these developers are jumping for joy according to what i saw on engadget lol.

This is why MS is able to control the Market. Until we can have a OS that can truly compete against Windows. this will never change.

I also do casual video editing even with windows live movie maker does the job i wanted to do.

And for the record. I haven't had to deal with any viruses for years!. yet alone ever seeing a BSOD since installed. So there

Cheers :)

MarioJP

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2007

Business is a different ball game. Some are either on XP still! I am sure Linux has its place. The desktop isn't one of them.

Which one is better Python or Visual Studios? From what I am seeing. Developers are leaning towards Visual Studios and (even so when MS has changed their mind about not being free to develop on win 8 lol.)

As much as i want Linux to gain momentum. So many times i tried to stay on Linux. Wine just does not cut it nor the applications that it has natively. Top it off gets overwhelming of how many distro's out there. Its too much for too little.

Like i said. I am sure Linux has its spot and thriving.

Vorador2

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2007
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]Apple has finally found a way to charge users for a service pack[/citation]

Took the words out of my mouth.

chewy1963

Honorable
May 9, 2012
Is it me or do many of the Tom's Hardware writers have an extra sparkle in their writing when it is about an Apple product (ANY Apple product)? It's getting annoying.

I use a dual boot Windows 7/Ubuntu Linux for my main machine. Linux is getting closer and closer to being my only OS, but unfortunately, there isn't enough 3rd party software out there for it. But most of the software that IS out for it comes with the source code which makes it pretty easy to customize it for your particular task (if you can program). Linux is loads faster than Windows (on the same machine obviously). And it is nearly as easy to use as OSX (from what I've heard, never owned an Apple product and never will).

One bit of advice if you decided to run Ubuntu... Install and use Gnome classic as to me Unity is even worse than Metro for a desktop UI. Not impressed with KDE either (more technically oriented).

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
I do tech support for field sales reps and Id rather they had an iPad because these people can barely understand the ONE button on the thing. But for anyone who can understand the difference between a right and left click mac's are a waste of money. Yeah lets force you to pay $2000 for about $300 worth of hardware and then make you pay for a hacked version of linux that they are calling osX ... Does anyone still give a rats backside about apple at this point? With Jobs gone there wont be too many more innovations and they will become more and more corporate which will drop their stock to the 10 dollars it should be.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
I'm looking forward to better security...

[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]Yeah just like MS does but Apple only Charges $20, what do you pay for you MS OS?[/citation]

How much do you pay for the Mac computers?

Mac OS X Panther (released in 2003): Unsupported
Mac OS X Tiger (released in 2005): Unsupported
Mac OS X Leopard (released in 2007): Critical Security Updates only

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]dalethepcman[/nom]Apple has finally found a way to charge users for a service pack[/citation]

In all my years I have never seen a Windows service pack include new applications, ui changes, performance optimization, and new content. Hell, most of the time business wait a while after the service pack is released to make sure that it did not cause other issues.

Keep in mind that Windows 7 is still based on Windows NT. Still uses the exact same file system and everything, just looks and works a heck of allot better. Took a whole like of $300 "Service Packs" to get it where it is today.

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]I'm looking forward to better security...How much do you pay for the Mac computers?Mac OS X Panther (released in 2003): UnsupportedMac OS X Tiger (released in 2005): UnsupportedMac OS X Leopard (released in 2007): Critical Security Updates only[/citation]

Windows 8 = Windows 7 with Metro...

I don't want an OS that's so old to be updated... Buy a new computer. Windows is more focused businesses that have applications that don't get updated and need support. Mac OS isn't.

You don't like, don't buy...

sundragon

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]hasten[/nom]What you just said may be the most idiotic thing I have ever read. We are all now dumber for having read it. Everything you state I can do perfectly fine on my Windows based PC, except with much much more horsepower. I also have the freedom to choose what software I would like to use and not an "app" that Apple approves. Windows 7 wasn't buggy at all. And the viruses you speak of are a result of scale. Due to the fact that exponentially more people (I wanna say it's still 85ish %) utilize Windows based systems, it's much more profitable to design malware that attacks it. We are already seeing the security flaws in Apple systems as they take even a tiny bit more market share. The users are so computer illiterate they are the perfect target and as Kaps recently said Apple is years behind Microsoft in security. What is with the flood of lonely Apple fanboys trolling? Oh and Sundragon, must people know how to turn on automatic updates and insert a disc in a drive and follow on screen prompts. Maybe your family and friends are just dumb... or don't know how to use that there internetwork to look up a quick tutorial on how to do basically anything computer related.[/citation]

You can't handle someone disagreeing with you?

I've been running Windows and Mac OS for 20+ years now... Since DOS 2.0 and my Sinclair ZX81... I think I can handle an OS update and a few bugs.

As for my friends and family, I can't really speak for them, maybe they are dumb. They sure do remember my phone number when something goes wrong, haha...

Don't feed the angry trolls :)

Lastly - My first few posts on this forum have mysteriously disappeared after 8 - 12 hours - I'm not sure what's going on here so I'll repost after asking the moderator why my posts disappeared without any reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.