kaprikawn

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2008
Hi,

quite a simple question really, I need a new hard drive to install Vista on and my program files. I've narrowed the choices down to a OCZ SSD or a Velociraptor. Would someone please give me a pointer which is better?

They're similar prices (£150 vs £180). Power consumption and noise aren't really factors that concern me. I have a server which holds my files so capacity isn't a massive issue. Desktop performance is my top priority. Startup time also concerns me.

I think I'm right in saying that the OCZ would be a better choice. It lacks write performance but that shouldn't be that big an issue because I won't be doing that much writing. Is my summation correct?

col-p-todd

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
i,ve been looking at the same hd's and am not sure which one to go for. one thing i was looking for was a 2.5" converter to a 3.5" so that a ssd would fit in my case but I can't find any:S so i,m wondering how other people do that maybe just have the ssd laying on the bottom of the case.

but after doing some research on the ssd and the intel ssd i think i will wait until ocz can fit the problem with the MLC ssd drives because this will make your ssd perf. suck in some situations.

rockbyter

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
2.5" sata drives use the same connectors as 3.5" drives. Mounting the drives you need just google " 2.5 inch drive bay converter" or the like. quite cheap to do.

As per the question, Velociraptor drives mounted in heatsink are the fastest conventional drive you can buy, and comes with 5 year warranty. Downside is they have a higher pitch noise caused by the faster drive speed. if you can live with this (such as your computer is not within 2 feet of your head at all times) that is the right answer for you. Access times, reads and writes dont get better without raid.

SSD's are still developing and getting better all the time, but they just aren't great because they cost a heck of a lot. upside is no noise, so take that as you need to.

It may give bragging rights, but the velociraptor is the better choice.

That cheap OCZ SSD is a poorly designed MLC model, and as a result it is quite slow in many ways. I'd go for the velociraptor.

rockbyter

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2008
Everybody close your eyes and raise your hands. First for the raptor..... 1,2,3,4, ok, and now... for the raptor. Yup, majority, Raptor wins.

closed_deal

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2007
The V2 modules of OCZ's SSD range has a much improved I/O, but if it were me buying for myself I would choose the Veloci without a second thought.

Although if it were a choice of one £187.99 300GB Veloci vs two 1TB Spinpoint F1's in RAID 0 at £187.98 i'd have a much harder time... :whistle:

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
Checkout OCZ's Forums.
There are major performance issues when multiple read-writes are happening on the device.

The result is that in many real world uses, they will see serious performance hits.

I just don't think SSDs are really ready for prime-time just yet.
I would go with the raptor for a general use HDD.

If there was a specific task such as a Read-Only Lookup Source, it would be really sweet.

If you need less than 64gb, then a SSD may be a good choice. Program files can take up a lot of storage though.

The OCZ SSD seems to have some issues with long hesitations. Go to the OCZ support forum to read about several issues.

In all reviews I have read, the real winner is the Intel 80GB SSD. If I could, I would wait for that.

If you are going to buy right now, I think the velociraptor is a safer choice.
And, it turns out that it can be the QUIETEST drive out there according to WWW.silentpcreview.com http://www.silentpcreview.com/article844-page1.html

G

get the velociraptor

i was able to pick up a 64 GB ocz core SSD for about 100 bucks

read speeds are awsome

write speeds and multi tasking suck ass... worst thing ever

took an hour to install cod 4 on it

and an hour to install crysis...

way to long especially compared to my old drive which had a slower rated wrte speed... but took like 15 minutes...

i love the read speed but the write speed is terrible... i might actually sell it... because the computer freezes for about a minute any time major multi tasking happens...