Ouch - The new AMD CPU's are slower than the Q6600!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

You still fail. Sorry. But try something else. We have gift baskets waiting in the lobby. Please pick on out, I am sure you will be pleased with the selection. We hav "Fail" and "Epic Fail" available.

Thank you and have a great day,

THG Forum

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006

The only way it could be slower is comparing at highest stable overclocks. If a Deneb 3.0 can only overclock to 3.6 stable, but a Q6600 can overclock to 3.8 stable, then the Q6600 might win, if the Deneb's IPC isn't all that much better than B3 Agena.

Can't wait till Deneb actually arrives. Can't afford to upgrade this coming year after all, but I still enjoy seeing the benchies and reading the "AMD's dying 'cause their CPU's aren't as good as..." threads.

The only thing that will hurt AMD this spring is a lull in annual income tax return upgrades. Too much uncertainty right now, even with a stable job. I still plan on getting a new ATI GPU, but not till next September. Then the drivers should be optimized for the June 2009 cards.

trinix

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
Sure, then the AMD fails at OC. But that's not what most people do, especially in the server market.

There are a few ways to determine the "best" cpu. One is the fastest CPU, fastest with full stable air cooling OC, water OC, etc etc. You get the clue, unless you define it, it could be true and could as well be false.

We don't know if he performs as well, if he overclocks well, if they tested it in a intel program, etc. They could even say a q6600 oc beats a stock amd. They aren't telling a lie, it's just not an interesting story.

Problem is that their ATI division cannot hold them up for long. The cost for R&D is pretty much recovered for their sales since they don't FAB the GPUs, TSMC does.

The Foundry whatever may help but if they don't do better in the CPU area it will be bad for them.

I'm not looking from a technological standpoint here, more of a financial standpoint. They can have one area doing great but if the other area, their biggest area, is bombing it wont help much.

A good example is Ford. They have been doing better in recent years. But their Aston Marton wasn't doing well and was pulling them down. So they sold it off but still own a portion of it, enough to make decisions but not let it affect their overall sales.

I think NMDante IS Dick Cheney!!! Why else would he know so much not only about Intel, but have intel on AMD as well?? heheh

I think were so close to finding out how fast AMDs solution is, unless its someone weve heard of, and theyre posting lots of numbers, its at this point worthless tripe, true or not, because theres nothing to prove/disprove in all this

Amiga500

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007

Aston Martin was generating good profits when Ford sold it. :??:

<decloak>

I agree it's OK to post rumors, just so long as it's clearly stated to be so. Though I would personally prefer a little bit of discretion: If some random blogger writes a story saying that "A Grinning Hector Ruiz was seen leaving the Blue Oyster Bar with a bottle of Spanish Fly~laced Absinthe in one arm and an obviously intoxicated Paul Otellini on the other. And that Authorities are now searching for the stained dress for DNA analysis..." doesn't mean that the story has any credibility or is deserving of repetition. Irregardless of it's amusement value.

OTOH - While a little FUD never hurt anyone, In My Humble Opinion there are clearly individuals engaged in an ongoing campaign to smear The Other Side in any way/shape/form they can manage. And again In My Humble Opinion, the actions of these individuals have hurt the value this site brings to the general readership.

But as much as it pains me to say this sometimes: I disagree that the site moderators should be deleting posts that don't meet some 'standard' for content. Put a lid on flame wars? Yup! PM people who have been pushing the limits?? OH YEAH!

But arbitrarily locking/deleting topics that haven't clearly broken the rules often invites more of a backlash than it's worth.

My $0.02

<cloak>

NMDante

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002

I keep telling you, I am not Dick Cheney. I'm more the failed experiment of William Gates and Steve Ballmer to overthrow Apple. I was rescued by Steve Jobs, during my sabotage spree, and was taken in, as one of Steven Jobs "lost" children. I was even one of the first to try the never seen Apple AMac (what they were going to call the AMD powered Mac, years before the Intel deal). But alas, Steve Jobs turned his back on me, along with his other "lost" children, when he was kicked out of Apple, and when he returned, he acted as though we did not exist, yet little did he know, that we, his "lost" children, had crippled his newest "child", Jaguar. HAHAHAHA!!!

But I digest...that was years ago, and now, I am merely a peon in the corporate grinding machine.

Currently you only have a dollar and 86 cents to go before you get your wish :).

As Mr. T would say, I pity the fool -- all the "informed" UAEZone fanbois who bought at $12, then $7, then $5 and then again at $3, figuring the bottom had arrived and they were about to make a killing.

Of course, INTC ain't doing so well either :)

silent_744

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008

Do you jerk off to that youtube video? And do you honestly believe what it's showing ... lol

trinix

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
I have no clue, I don't click random youtube links. I bet it's either showing that it runs 200x faster than light and the i7 960 or it shows it won't even be able to run 98 at a normal rate. Either way I'm not wasting my time on it.