[SOLVED] Out of Curiosity - How Long Until Motherboards Remove Any And All Legacy OS Support, Thus Removing The CSM?

Mar 11, 2020
Some 300 series motherboards don't even include or mention Windows 7 or 8.1 on their support pages, and installing Win7 requires some fooling around with USB drivers and other stuff...
Same for recent AMD mobos...

So how long until new motherboards completely strip away any legacy OS support, including the Compatibility Support Module?

Solution
The CSM isn't there for legacy OS support. It's there for legacy HARDWARE support. That will probably not ever go away unless and until the PS2 keyboard and mouse ports are removed or all other types of legacy hardware are beyond any probability of users wanting to still use them in current Gen systems. Also, I suspect that so long as OS versions that DO support legacy configurations are still not yet to EOL, it's not even something that would be a consideration.

At a guess, never, because Windows is not the only OS out there and other types of OS's still very much support or even rely on legacy hardware.
The CSM isn't there for legacy OS support. It's there for legacy HARDWARE support. That will probably not ever go away unless and until the PS2 keyboard and mouse ports are removed or all other types of legacy hardware are beyond any probability of users wanting to still use them in current Gen systems. Also, I suspect that so long as OS versions that DO support legacy configurations are still not yet to EOL, it's not even something that would be a consideration.

At a guess, never, because Windows is not the only OS out there and other types of OS's still very much support or even rely on legacy hardware.

Reactions: Skalavesky
Solution
Mar 11, 2020

Wow always thought CSM was meant for supporting legacy, non-UEFI operating systems. Thanks for clarifying.

Well, in a manner of speaking I guess it is. But non-UEFI, non-legacy hardware systems wouldn't NEED an OS that supports those things. Plus, CSM happens BEFORE any OS is actually loaded into memory, so technically, regardless of whether in actuality it becomes the same thing or not, it's for the hardware itself. If the hardware isn't supported by the BIOS settings, and therefore the motherboard's CMOS configuration, it can't very well be supported anywhere else.