Out of curiosity, is it legal to DOS in CMD.

Solution
No, In most countries attacking someones server/s or private networks is illegal.
In my personal opinion people who DOS for no reason are scummy and are simply abusing the power that they hold.
Overall would not recommend but doing 1 or 2 attacks against someone's minecraft server wont cause any harm.

TheKliqx

Reputable
Aug 21, 2015
No, In most countries attacking someones server/s or private networks is illegal.
In my personal opinion people who DOS for no reason are scummy and are simply abusing the power that they hold.
Overall would not recommend but doing 1 or 2 attacks against someone's minecraft server wont cause any harm.

Solution

Lam1080p

Reputable
Nov 23, 2014

Ok, thanks, I had no intentions of DOSing nor DDoS, I know what its like to be web-based attacked.

TheKliqx

Reputable
Aug 21, 2015
I get sometime you can Ddos your friends ( they do it to me) but I would not seriously try attacking someone as if it is serious enough they can take you to court.

It is only the script kiddies that only know how to run code written by someone else that think it is possible to DoS someone from a home connection.

First almost all ISP have the feature in their routers turned on that prevent ip address spoofing so you will be pointing the finger directly at yourself if you do it directly from your house. It also prevents many of the attacks that rely on spoofing ip to work.

Next any attack that relies on sending invalid packet forms tend to be blocked by the router just because it is stupid. When the router receives some data and you do not have port forwarding on it will just drop it which prevent the attack from ever reaching your machine. Most routers provide basic firewall protection just with the NAT feature.

What is left is the brute force send too much traffic form of DoS attack. The flaw with that theory is you must have more upload bandwidth than the person you attack has download bandwidth. In most cases all you have done is DoS yourself because you have exceeded you upload bandwidth with little impact on the person you are going to attack.

The only ones you can really do is pay one of the criminal networks that have botnets to use theirs. Still since these too are send with the real address of the bot machines they eventual get found and patch so they charge a lot of money to use the service for very long.