[SOLVED] Out of ideas, PC is not detecting RAM after PSU upgrade

Kamil_3

Honorable
Nov 5, 2015
Hello everyone,

So as of right now, my PC is disassembled to bones. Two weeks ago, it started to turn itself off instantly without any crash, BSOD or any error code given.
It would crash when i was playing games, both freshly installed and not, but not all off them; ironically, games that were tasking my pc wouldnt kill it, but some other titles would, doesnt matter if they were games i have played before or not. I restored my Windows to the day before it happened, removing software i installed around like OpenRGB or Wallpaper Engine, yet to no avail.

I had a new PSU coming to me at this time, so after 2-3 days after it begun i began all the replacement mambojambo. From this time on, my mobo doesnt detect ram sticks. The EZ led debug shows DRAM error. I have tried each stick in every socket, and over tens and tens of attempts, pc started maybe three times, but would never start again in the same configuration (which seemed random as well). Occasionaly, debug lights would alternate between DRAM and CPU light.
With everything but CPU, one ram stick and GPU disconnected, and every combination tried as well as both old and new PSU i couldnt make it boot. I have tried new, fresh ram sticks which only worked with B2 slot and PC managed to start up another three times, but these new ram sticks would also be of no help after that.
Meanwhile, i would reset CMOS multiple times and clean hardware as well, keeping the safety measures. CPU has been reseated as well. And one time i have managed to get into the BIOS, i would just reset it to default. As of now, i am waiting for new mobo to arrive today to check it out on it.

I feel like right now everything points at mobo, i am just afraid that it might keep frying my ram sticks. So, does anyone here has any other suggestions for me to try?

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2060S (Super) -
SSD: Kingston SM2280S3G2240G 240GB
SSD: Kingston SA400S37960G 960GB
SSD: Kingston A400 480GB -
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 C16 4x8GB (two newer sticks are the same model)
MBD: MSI MPG Z490 GAMING PLUS
Case: SilentiumPC Signum SG7V EVO TG ARGB
Cooling: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360
PSU (new):
Fractal Design Ion 2 Platinum 860W
(old): SilentiumPC Vero M1 600W

Solution
Ram issues are often caused by bent pins in the cpu socket.
That is all too easy to do if you needed to wiggle the cpu a bit to get it seated.

Your motherboard manual will tell you which ram socket to use when running with just one stick.
Do that for testing.

When changing out the psu, did you reuse the old cables?
You need to use the new cables that came with the new psu.

Are there any bios updates for your motherboard?
Often such updates address ram compatibility issues.

To take windows out of the equation, try
running memtest86 or memtest86+
They boot from a usb stick and do not use windows.
You can download them here:
If you can run for a few minutes with NO...
"(two newer sticks are the same model) " indicates you are trying to mix DRAM from different batches. The fact that they are the same model is irrelevant. Try it with just the older DRAM installed in whatever slots the motherboard manual specifies. You will need to buy all new DRAM in a "kit" and that may or may not work. It would be better to buy two 16GB modules.

Reactions: Krotow

Kamil_3

Honorable
Nov 5, 2015
"(two newer sticks are the same model) " indicates you are trying to mix DRAM from different batches. The fact that they are the same model is irrelevant. Try it with just the older DRAM installed in whatever slots the motherboard manual specifies. You will need to buy all new DRAM in a "kit" and that may or may not work. It would be better to buy two 16GB modules.
I should have word it better - i had two sticks of 8gb from one batch in pc when it stopped working, tried it all around. Then i ordered two another sticks since i suspected that the older ones died. I tried the new batch and it worked with one stick three times and then it stopped responding to both older and newer ones. No mixing happened.
On the newer sticks it managed to work in the A2 slot, asked me to put the stick in the B1 or B2 slots. I did that, it worked few times and stopped afterwards. Now, mobo doesnt work with both older and newer sticks.

P.S. possibly incorrect and irrelevant, but for the sake of conversation i name RAM slots from closest to the CPU to the furtest one. A1, B1, A2, B2.

That is all too easy to do if you needed to wiggle the cpu a bit to get it seated.

Your motherboard manual will tell you which ram socket to use when running with just one stick.
Do that for testing.

If you can run for a few minutes with NO errors, your hardware should be ok.

Reactions: Kamil_3
Solution

Kamil_3

Honorable
Nov 5, 2015
It should be slot 2 and 4 from CPU. Although it seems you did that with your naming scheme.
View: https://imgur.com/a/Xyq3DNt
Image from motherboard manual page here. This is your board, right?
Yes, indeed.

Do that for testing.

If you can run for a few minutes with NO errors, your hardware should be ok.

Thank you for a lenghty response.
Last time i did anything with the CPU was last summer, when i was replacing both case and cooling. I didnt had any similar problems like this after that or before.
I did check on the socket pins and the cpu itself few days ago, and everything seemed fine.
I have started with one ram stick placed in the primary slots, but apart from a brief success with the new RAM and one glimpse of boot some few hours before with old RAM it doesnt seem to work anymore.
PSU wise, i used the cables that came with it. What might be worth pointing out, is that i have spend 30 minutes not being able to boot up the pc at all. This one was on me, since i was not aware that new PSU had two connectors on the one and of the cable that goes into mobo. I mean the one "wide" and additional 8pin (i think? I am at work ATM so i cant check) that goes into PSU. The older PSU had the cables preconnected into its frame. So while i cant be sure if it might damage the PC, i did tried to launch it few times with the mobo cable seated correctly in mobo, but not fully on the other end.
As for the BIOS updates, i do not think i did any on this mobo, but i can recall doing some within last two or three years. Sadly, i cannot be sure of it, it has been a while.
I might try the usb trick once i will get my hands on some working hardware. I will note that i ran memtest before it all happened, when my pc started to turn off with games without frame limiter.
I know these two problems might be unrelated, but who knows.

Also, would it be wise to try those possibly-not-working-anymore on a new mobo? Can they be possibly broken in a way that would break the new mobo as well? Or should i get my hands on a different, possibly borrowed sticks first and test mobo with them?