Question Out of ideas, please help. Computer randomly restarting and sometimes various BSOD. Stumped and frustrated.

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Brand new computer, about 6 months old. Last couple weeks i've had issues with my computer randomly restarting and sometimes getting BSOD, various errors.

I've done memtest twice, no errors both times. Just finished a FurMark test and no crashes. Which is why i'm very very stuck and I don't understand what else it could be.

I'm assuming a hardware failure of some sorts. Done some research since the FurMark test and it seems it could be PSU or the PSU isn't giving the right amount of power? But i don't understand why the FurMark passed at high stress.

I am just stumped and i'm getting very frustrated with things. I got a new computer to prevent this fun stuff.

PC - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KmctrV

I wiped my computer a couple times, I thought maybe software issues, but the problems persisted. I've also switched ram slots, same issues. i did a scv test and it came back with corrupted file and fixed them, problem persisted. (Was recommended after the BSOD)

Edit - Forgot to mention I am getting random FPS drops in various games. Mainly playing PoE atm and I get FPS drops at both intense and seemingly nothing events. With this build it makes no sense I should be getting any severe FPS drops.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I guess after a few months its time for this - run Driver verifer and see what windows thinks is a bad driver. if it finds nothing its likely I need to look at hardware again

I don't suggest it very often as it can leave windows in a boot loop. It is running now, its part of windows. But it can be set to test drivers and put them in situations they shouldn't be in.

Driver Verifier monitors Windows kernel-mode drivers and graphics drivers to detect illegal function calls or actions that might corrupt the system. Driver Verifier can subject the Windows drivers to a variety of stresses and tests to find improper behavior.

1) search for “Create a restore point” and create a restore point

2) Create a bootable USB of Win 10 installer to use as a boot drive. download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

3) go to command prompt (admin)
Enter these BOLD commands and press ENTER after each.
(Note the colon after C with no space; then the spaces which are important - one after T before / & T before { & } before B & Y before L)

C:

BCDEDIT /SET {DEFAULT} BOOTMENUPOLICY LEGACY

EXIT

Steps are just precautions. Once you have an installer and a restore point, you are ready to run it
step 3 just sets it up so you can get into safe mode at boot

read the instructions carefully - https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...behaving/f5cb4faf-556b-4b6d-95b3-c48669e4c983

If you can't get into Windows because it crashes too soon, try it in Safe Mode. (For win 8 try msconfig here is how) and to disable verifier type the following. Verifier /reset

how to get into safe mode - "immediately" start tapping F8 (That means power button - then F8).

how to disable safe mode at boot -
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To reverse that you can use the same steps and type these (again note spaces)

C:

BCDEDIT /SET {DEFAULT} BOOTMENUPOLICY STANDARD

Restart but F8 will not work now.

Sorry for the crazy delay. Life.. anyways, i did the verifier, and concluded 2 bsod. I can run it more if needed.

https://we.tl/t-Lc6htEKIbE

It said it was logi surround sound or something of the sorts. I didn't write it down. But thats what it said the error was from.

I don't know if that means its literally logitech causing the issue or not, i'll let the experts figure it out when they can.

Also not sure if this is related directly to the same issue. But i've been getting a lot of crashes involving this, when playing wow: https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/8288#:~:text=message.,incompatible drivers, or hardware issues.&text=Update your drivers and operating,and addons are not corrupted.

Only reason I mention it, is it suggests it's also a driver issue.

Hope this gets analyzed soon. Crashes are driving me nuts when playing WoW.

Sorry for my delay on getting back.

Hope to hear some stuff soon.

Thanks again guys, really appreciate your help. Hope this can lead somewhere.

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/zbao478j/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:013021-6703-01.dmp (Jan 30 2021 - 06:46:35)
Bugcheck:DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION (C4)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for logi_audio_surround.sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 14 Sec(s)

File information:012921-7140-01.dmp (Jan 29 2021 - 23:54:40)
Bugcheck:DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION (C4)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for logi_audio_surround.sys
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 10 Sec(s)
Crashing driver:
Oct 30 2020logi_audio_surround.sysLogitech Surround Sound Audio driver

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/0y8mvf9u/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:013121-7328-01.dmp (Jan 31 2021 - 17:21:45)
Bugcheck:IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)
Uptime:1 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 35 Min(s), and 20 Sec(s)

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Logitech drivers
Download this - https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/device_manager_view.html
  • Click on Manufacturer column. Scroll down to Logitech entries
  • Select the devices you want to uninstall. You can select one or more device entries at a time.
    Then File->Uninstall Selected Devices to uninstall the device driver
This doesn't remove them from windows driverstore. As soon as you plug headset in again, it will just reinstall drivers. the solution I found above had a description on how to stop it auto loading in win 7 but its likely changed in win 10

this is how to clean old drivers but it doesn't stop the auto install of drivers as soon as you plug in headset - https://medium.com/@iced_burn/clean-filerepository-folder-in-driverstore-windows-10-622d3c79f58b#:~:text=Run the Disk Cleanup Wizard,up the drivers clean up.

they weren't running in last crash so its not totally them.

You re enabled amdppm right?

there is a new non beta bios above yours now. If John is correct, updating it might help. There aren't any newer Chipset drivers since October.

Bump. Wondering if anyone has ideas. I know we can miss notifactions n what not and it's been a little while. I'm still experiencing random crashes. Wondering if trying another Wipe might be a good idea. I am slightly noticing, although could be coincidence, computer seems to love crashing after recently been turned back on (i do sleep my computer, not shut down, idk if that matters). Then it seems to last a while. It still crashes while idling. Sometimes i'll just look at my computer and go "oh hey it restarted".

I switched outlets and wiped my pc again and installed nothing else but WoW on it. It lasted a while before i got a crash but i still got a restart with no BSOD.

I was thinking, is a power bar a possible cause for this? I got a new powerbar this one to be exact. Back in may, my issues started early September i believe. According to when i first posted this thread anyways. My next test, only one i can think of, and my last. Idk what else to do after this. Is to change power bars n hope.

Really frustrating as it seems nothing I do works. I don't even know where to start with in terms of trying to replace pieces first so I can get an RMA. I feel like i ruled out video card by trying an older one and it still happening. However i think that's possibly due to it being such an older video card on a newer motherboard n other pieces.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I have been meaning to comment but I also wanted to go through entire thread and see what we might have missed but with 5 pages now, that is a big task. And some days I just didn't want to know.

review shows there isn't much we haven't tried. Means the cause is something we can't test? Motherboard? I don't like guessing but at this point there are only so many things it can be.

shame you can't get someone else to look at it there in person.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I dislike guessing. I dislike costing someone else money if it doesn't fix Problem but you have spent 5 months now trying to fix it and I think we have tested everything we can (apart from maybe wiring in house) so it might well be time to get a new motherboard as its one of the few parts you can't test.

Reactions: 4745454b
I think shop idea was floated by me on about page 3. He doesn't have that option.
I do potentially have the option. But since i am unable to manipulate my computer to cause the issue consistently, i feel it may just be cheaper to get a new motherboard. Since the time they may need to have the computer may be a while.

I think that's going to be my last resort, unless i wanna risk getting a new motherboard n still have the issue.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i would take to shop long before guessing its motherboard, I didn't think you had the option. let them keep it a while if problem is erratic. Hopefully it happens sooner. they can stress parts and make sure they all right.

I don't believe so. Also cause the information doesn't seem to mention any computer crashing issue. However i will try it anyways since why not. I believe i've also done these as it seems familiar, downloading the chipset drivers n such. I will also try the BIOS config option.

Also wanna add, not sure if it's worth mentioning. I have been getting a lot of crashes lately for some reason. I've gotten so much as 3 in 30 minutes before. It still seems pretty intermittent. Just likes to do it most when i'm in the middle of something important of course.

Seems to me almost like the more stuff i have on the computer, the more often it crashes. As it took almost a day for a crash after wiping the computer. Now it's happening quite frequently during the day.

Harddrive problem / ram problem i'm guessing most likely fits into that. I don't know what else i can do as i've tried all of the harddrive and ram stuff that's been asked.

However I didn't run the memtest more than an hour or so. As I was worried about the overheating issue it seemed to be nearing. I think it was the memtest that was pushing my computer to it's very limit. I could be wrong about what test that was. Either way I didn't run that one for very long as I was worried about running it over night or something incase of an overheat.

Sorry it was Prime95 I believe i didnt test for more than an hour.

Last edited: