Question Out of ideas, please help. Computer randomly restarting and sometimes various BSOD. Stumped and frustrated.

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Brand new computer, about 6 months old. Last couple weeks i've had issues with my computer randomly restarting and sometimes getting BSOD, various errors.

I've done memtest twice, no errors both times. Just finished a FurMark test and no crashes. Which is why i'm very very stuck and I don't understand what else it could be.

I'm assuming a hardware failure of some sorts. Done some research since the FurMark test and it seems it could be PSU or the PSU isn't giving the right amount of power? But i don't understand why the FurMark passed at high stress.

I am just stumped and i'm getting very frustrated with things. I got a new computer to prevent this fun stuff.

PC - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KmctrV

I wiped my computer a couple times, I thought maybe software issues, but the problems persisted. I've also switched ram slots, same issues. i did a scv test and it came back with corrupted file and fixed them, problem persisted. (Was recommended after the BSOD)

Edit - Forgot to mention I am getting random FPS drops in various games. Mainly playing PoE atm and I get FPS drops at both intense and seemingly nothing events. With this build it makes no sense I should be getting any severe FPS drops.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Link - I just offered it as it was an unknown problem that only affected some machines, not all. I didn't know until last weekend that it was 4 series motherboards as well, or I would have suggested it before.

if its a part dying, it will get worse as it will die. And then we will know what it is... and we can slap our foreheads for missing it.

Take it to that option you had and since its happening more often now, they can hopefully figure it out for you in a shorter time.

Helloooo friendly people. I ended up taking it into a shop. The verdict was my wireless dongle seemed to be causing most of the very persistent crashes. Was a dongle for my g933 headset.

However! That seems to not be the only problem. I have been getting random crashes here and there, nowhere near as bad as it was with the dongle in. Like once in a while, but I have gotten 2 bsod over the last 2 days. I have 5 over the last month according to my dump folder.

Since the dongle seemingly caused the crashes, for the most part, I am curious now why I am getting BSOD. I will say I do still use the headset, just plugged in with the aux cable instead of the dongle.

I was hoping to have the dumps analyzed again. I am really really starting to lean towards motherboard though.

I think i can still RMA this motherboard so.

https://we.tl/t-7g4foDohYT (the bsod's)

The shop didn't ahve any crashes through all testing. He basically tested everything he could and found no issues. He didn't have my headset and dongle, as soon as i got it back i went to play as usual and boom. I took out the dongle, crashes basically stopped but now i get a bsod / crash every now and again. Once again, nowhere near as often as before.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Logitech dongle? its always the thing you forget is there.

If store tested everything and had no errors, it could be something you are plugging in at home. So another peripheral. What do you plug in?

I will flag down gardenman to read dump files.

4745454b

Titan
What's different between the ship and home? They used a different monitor. Other devices weren't plugged in as well. Printer? Try not using those headphones at all.

The power would have been different as well. Might want to call electrician out. Will be expensive to have them test the wall and circuits. But that could be the problem.

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/ugL6f92e/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:042321-6343-01.dmp (Apr 23 2021 - 13:28:44)
Bugcheck:ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY (BE)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: msedge.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 15 Hour(s), 08 Min(s), and 47 Sec(s)

File information:042221-5859-01.dmp (Apr 22 2021 - 22:14:27)
Bugcheck:DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (9F)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 2 Hour(s), 33 Min(s), and 58 Sec(s)

File information:032621-8234-01.dmp (Mar 26 2021 - 17:06:18)
Bugcheck:VIDEO_MEMORY_MANAGEMENT_INTERNAL (10E)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: Mobalytics Desktop.exe)
Uptime:1 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 57 Min(s), and 33 Sec(s)

File information:032521-6687-01.dmp (Mar 25 2021 - 16:08:07)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: SearchApp.exe)
Uptime:1 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 10 Min(s), and 29 Sec(s)

File information:032421-6578-01.dmp (Mar 24 2021 - 14:57:01)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: SearchApp.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 22 Hour(s), 36 Min(s), and 04 Sec(s)
At least 2 crashes were caused by nvlddmkm.sys, which is a NVIDIA graphics card driver. There are a few things you can do to fix this problem. First off, try a full uninstall using DDU in Safe Mode then re-install the driver (more information). Or try getting the latest version of the driver. Or try one of the 3 most recent drivers released by NVIDIA. Drivers can be found here: http://www.nvidia.com/ or you can allow Windows Update to download the driver for you, which might be a older/better version.

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/B450-TOMAHAWK-MAX
You recently upgraded to BIOS 3.A which is the latest stable version available.

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Since thread needs a index after 6 pages, I am not going to look backwards. Again, I did that last time :)

Crash 1 isn't obvious. But it could be caused by same as other 2.

Crash 2 mentions vwifibus which is something I had to look up. Its Virtual wifi bus driver (part of windows).
Virtual WiFi helps a user connect to multiple IEEE 802.11 networks with one WiFi card. (been around since 2005)
So maybe your WIFI card since MB doesn't have it.
Feb 10 2020bcmwl63a.sysBroadcom 802 11 Network Adapter Wireless driver http://www.broadcom.com/support/

you may have mentioned it already, the 6 page thing... if you give me model of WIFI dongle/card I might find newer driver.

last 3 crashes are likely Nvidia drivers, 3rd is a GPU error and mentions Directx
dxgmms2!VIDMM_PROCESS_ADAPTER_INFO

other 2 mention Nvidia drivers as the cause.
nvlddmkm+0x335ce5

I assume they didn't reinstall win 10 since you still on 19041.

note: USB and GPU both use same control chips on the motherboard, if the USB is playing up it could make GPU play up as well. Just a possibility.

Since thread needs a index after 6 pages, I am not going to look backwards. Again, I did that last time :)

Crash 1 isn't obvious. But it could be caused by same as other 2.

Crash 2 mentions vwifibus which is something I had to look up. Its Virtual wifi bus driver (part of windows).
Virtual WiFi helps a user connect to multiple IEEE 802.11 networks with one WiFi card. (been around since 2005)
So maybe your WIFI card since MB doesn't have it.
Feb 10 2020bcmwl63a.sysBroadcom 802 11 Network Adapter Wireless driver http://www.broadcom.com/support/

you may have mentioned it already, the 6 page thing... if you give me model of WIFI dongle/card I might find newer driver.

last 3 crashes are likely Nvidia drivers, 3rd is a GPU error and mentions Directx
dxgmms2!VIDMM_PROCESS_ADAPTER_INFO

other 2 mention Nvidia drivers as the cause.
nvlddmkm+0x335ce5

I assume they didn't reinstall win 10 since you still on 19041.

note: USB and GPU both use same control chips on the motherboard, if the USB is playing up it could make GPU play up as well. Just a possibility.
Just typed a wall and it all got removed so I'm gonna tldr what I wrote.

Network card just died on me a couple hours ago, no solutions have worked. So super interesting that pulled an error.

Myself and the shop tested the GPU extensively, including drivers wiped reset rolled back etc. Can it really be the GPU still? Drivers or physical card?

Since the network card died, could the motherboard just be slowly dying since it's the bulk of the issue?

I'm so frustrated and going nuts from this computer. Its brand new basically and I've just had nothing but issues. Very unlucky I suppose. I'm so close to just dropping money on a new motherboard n seeing if issues still arise.

I'll try the new suggestions here, even the ones I've done. I'll have to buy a cheap network adapter tomorrow. I am thinking of ordering the ac88 network card though. But I'll buy a cheap USB one just so I can use my computer again >.<

This computer is going to be the death of me...

Appreciate the feedback as usual though. I'm sure it will be exciting once the freaking issue gets found and fixed.

Forgot to add the number of network card.

Pce-ac68
SN: E5IAGN000613

Wanna note that I bought this network card like 8 or 9 years ago btw.

Colif

Win 11 Master
network card chipset - BCM4360
802.11ac isn't that old really - https://www.broadcom.com/products/wireless/wireless-lan-infrastructure/bcm4360

amazed it has broadcom drivers, they normally don't support their own stuff. Or didn't before, Killer Internet drivers used to do it for them but Intel bought them and stopped that. None showing for it on Broadcom website.

i wonder where you got that driver from, the newest on Asus site is 2017 - https://www.asus.com/au/Networking-IoT-Servers/Adapters/All-series/PCEAC68/HelpDesk_Download/

I would have been frustrated long before now. New PC should just work, not be a nightmare 6 months or so after you got it. It could be motherboard, they are impossible to test besides swapping everything in pc into another board and problems stop. I wish I could tell you the cause.

Hey guys. Been a minute. I finally got another BSOD. I've been using my headset plugged in through an aux passthrough on my keyboard. Idk if it's still causing the issue or not at this point. I still get a crash probably once a day. maybe once every couple actually. But i finally got another BSOD and it was an exception I haven't had before, i think. So.. Thought i'd post it here n see if it gets me anywhere. I've been debating for about a month now of just buying a new motherboard n hoping that's just the issue but yeah.

If you could take a look, that'd be awesome!

https://we.tl/t-s6MBDCKNPg

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/jafqs213/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:062021-13046-01.dmp (Jun 20 2021 - 23:53:13)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: League of Legends.exe)
Uptime:3 Day(s), 2 Hour(s), 34 Min(s), and 57 Sec(s)

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

We have tested everything I am sure by now so it could well be motherboard since we can't test it

I wouldn't still be putting up with this.
Yeah i hear that. I just don't have much money to shoot here n there so I definitely needed to narrow down the selection. Should i get the same motherboard you think or maybe a slightly upgraded motherboard now? Nervous as <Mod Edit> now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Should i get the same motherboard you think or maybe a slightly upgraded motherboard now? Nervous as <Mod Edit> now.

Are you buying a new motherboard or sending one you have back for testing? One costs money, other costs time.
Tough choice. No point buying same one if you can get a replacement through warranty
If you not replacing via warranty, do you want different features? I know you really just want a working PC but is motherboard good enough now or do you want something better? I would only get a different one if prices were similar.

Are you buying a new motherboard or sending one you have back for testing? One costs money, other costs time.
Tough choice. No point buying same one if you can get a replacement through warranty
If you not replacing via warranty, do you want different features? I know you really just want a working PC but is motherboard good enough now or do you want something better? I would only get a different one if prices were similar.
I'm hoping I can RMA this one but I don't/can't wait that long for it to come back. So I figured i'd buy a new one, test it for a bit and see if i still get shutdowns. Then if I do then i RMA.

I just made this thread about possibly a new motherboard that kind of has a comment on features. Motherboard are like the one thing I don't really know a whole lot of when it comes to hardware so. It's difficult for me lol

MAN it just keeps getting better! So now I have gotten this about 3 times in the last few days. Definitely video card related but is it cause of the motherboard? Anyways. Everything freezes, sound continues, all 3 of my screens go black then after about 45 seconds my main monitor comes back but the other ones continue to stay black / off. AND the volume has gone. At least in the headset, idk about other things. My lord. I'm gonna buy a motherboard soon n see if this all goes away but yeah. Thought i'd see if this adds to any diagnoses >.<

Colif

Win 11 Master
MAN it just keeps getting better! So now I have gotten this about 3 times in the last few days. Definitely video card related but is it cause of the motherboard? Anyways. Everything freezes, sound continues, all 3 of my screens go black then after about 45 seconds my main monitor comes back but the other ones continue to stay black / off. AND the volume has gone.
any errors show in reliability monitor at time the screens go off? might get a hardware error in there as windows sees the restart as a hardware error. Any mention gpu?

any errors show in reliability monitor at time the screens go off? might get a hardware error in there as windows sees the restart as a hardware error. Any mention gpu?
No mention of GPU. This is what I got last night and looks to be the same error i believe around the other times it happened (same pattern anyways)

Description
A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
Code: 117
Parameter 1: ffffe48ef0c88010
Parameter 2: fffff8013b001764
Parameter 3: 0
Parameter 4: 574
OS version: 10_0_19042
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 768_1
OS Version: 10.0.19042.2.0.0.768.101
Locale ID: 1033

Also gotten code 114.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
refresher
cpu - 3600
mb B450 tomahawk max
GPU - RTX 2060 Super
PSU Seasonic 750w Focus PX (same as what i have)

event 117 seems to tie into Nvidia gpu crashes, as does 114 - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/live-kernel-event-117-and-114.3668200/
can be caused by power issues to GPU and heat.

are you running MSI Afterburner?

we know the problem with PC is hardware, we just can't nail down what

I wonder what monitor the shop had the PC attached too. Maybe the problem doesn't occur at 1080p but running at 1440p @144hz adds more stress to card.

wish there were actual tests for GPU. Only ones I have are benchmarks, and I don't run them to get the results, more to see if GPU crashes during them. Did I ever suggest trying either of these (don't run at same time)
https://geeks3d.com/furmark/

https://benchmark.unigine.com/heaven
results don't matter, just seeing if it crashes.

refresher
cpu - 3600
mb B450 tomahawk max
GPU - RTX 2060 Super
PSU Seasonic 750w Focus PX (same as what i have)

event 117 seems to tie into Nvidia gpu crashes, as does 114 - https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/live-kernel-event-117-and-114.3668200/
can be caused by power issues to GPU and heat.

are you running MSI Afterburner?

we know the problem with PC is hardware, we just can't nail down what

I wonder what monitor the shop had the PC attached too. Maybe the problem doesn't occur at 1080p but running at 1440p @144hz adds more stress to card.

wish there were actual tests for GPU. Only ones I have are benchmarks, and I don't run them to get the results, more to see if GPU crashes during them. Did I ever suggest trying either of these (don't run at same time)
https://geeks3d.com/furmark/

https://benchmark.unigine.com/heaven
results don't matter, just seeing if it crashes.
I've done furmark a couple times months ago n never had any issues or crashes. Haven't tried heaven though.

I got a new motherboard on the way so.. we shall see.. I lean towards motherboard since the dongle was causing very consistent crashes. like whats up with that? And then everything is like either gpu or memory or power but its never those things individually? So idk. I'm not a hardware wiz but deduction suggests motherboard?

On a side note, i've never ever installed motherboard. I've done everything else (except thermal paste and cpu) so if you have any good videos out there for swapping motherboard i'm all ears. lol