[SOLVED] "Out of Range" error when trying to access BIOS via HDMI

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 20, 2020
Yesterday I built my first PC using MSI A320M-A PRO MAX Motherboard with BIOS version 7C52v24 released on 11 November 2019 (there has been one update after that).

Following are the detailed specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: MSI A320M-A PRO MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Patriot Viper 4 Blackout 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: Crucial P1 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mini Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
Monitor: Asus VA229HR 21.5" 1920x1080 75 Hz Monitor
Keyboard: Redragon K552-N Wired Standard Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech M310 Wireless Laser Mouse

The MOBO supports a maximum resolution of 1920x1200 @60Hz via DVI-D port and supports a maximum resolution of 4096x2160 @24Hz via HDMI 1.4 port.

The Monitor supports a maximum resolution of 1920x1080 @75Hz via VGA port and a maximum resolution of 1920x1080p @ 60Hz via HDMI 1.4 port.

I first tried connecting the monitor using HDMI to HDMI cable, but it lead to "Out of Range" error on my monitor (I checked that HDMI cable works with my Laptop and monitor). Hence not allowing me to install OS. I was able to bypass this problem by using DVI-D to VGA cable which supports a maximum resolution of 1920x1080 at 60Hz. This way I was able to access the BIOS and install the Operating system (Linux).

After installing the OS and setting the screen resolution to 1920x1080 at 60Hz, I tried to use HDMI again (DVI-D to HDMI and HDMI to HDMI). Now, when using HDMI instead of BIOS I see "Out of Range" error and the monitor works fine once the OS login screen appears. Once I log into the OS, I am able to use the monitor via HDMI without any issues (even allowing me to access the inbuilt speakers of the monitor).

Why is the BIOS leading to the "Out of Range" error when using HDMI input for my monitor?

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
Once in the OS, what are the optional resolutions and frequencies available to you?
The out of range appears, when either frequency or resolution is higher(for resolution lower as well) than your screen supports.

May 20, 2020
Once in the OS, what are the optional resolutions and frequencies available to you?
The out of range appears, when either frequency or resolution is higher(for resolution lower as well) than your screen supports.
Yes, I understand that somehow when connected via HDMI the frequency or resolution required by BIOS prompt is higher than what my screen supports. But why is it only before OS loads? While using the OS there is not any issue and monitor works with the resolution 1920x1080 @ 60Hz. However, this issue doesn't occur when I use VGA.

Following is the supported frequency list from the monitor manual:

CDmy5SN.png

Clearly the monitor supports much more variation when connected via VGA. Can the issue be that the frequency via HDMI during BIOS is not an exact match of the supported frequencies and hence the blanket error "Out of Range"?

Status
Not open for further replies.