[SOLVED] Out of the box compatibility question

AHalfSammich

Reputable
Jul 2, 2019
I'm going to be building a new rig soon and I want to get the Ryzen 9 3900X. Ive noticed the ram speed is 3200 mhz. If i buy a board that supports 3200 mhz but only when overclocked with XMP profile, is that going to be a problem? Will it still boot and let me enable the XMP so my ram will be running at the correct speed? Or will it not boot at all because my board has downscaled my 3200 mhz ram to be slower and the CPU calls for 3200?

Any help would be much appreciated, Thanks!

Solution
So just to be clear, even though cpu uses 3200 MHz ram, I can still boot with slower ram?
Not really enough information what motherboard? I hope your not going to buy that processor and put it in a 70 buck motherboard.

Just to answer DEPENDING on the motherboard it will still boot but at a lower ram speed and if you can run at advertised speed depends, anytime you see the speed a (OC) it is not guaranteed to run stable at that speed without some tweaking.

Yes it will boot with slower memory, and if you can OC the memory faster no guarantee.

I would think buying that processor you would be at least looking to buy 3200 memory

If you buy even 3200 memory it will still default to a lower clock speed.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
So just to be clear, even though cpu uses 3200 MHz ram, I can still boot with slower ram?
Not really enough information what motherboard? I hope your not going to buy that processor and put it in a 70 buck motherboard.

Just to answer DEPENDING on the motherboard it will still boot but at a lower ram speed and if you can run at advertised speed depends, anytime you see the speed a (OC) it is not guaranteed to run stable at that speed without some tweaking.

Yes it will boot with slower memory, and if you can OC the memory faster no guarantee.

I would think buying that processor you would be at least looking to buy 3200 memory

If you buy even 3200 memory it will still default to a lower clock speed.

Solution

AHalfSammich

Reputable
Jul 2, 2019
Thank you everyone! And for the motherboard question, I wish I could answer that but everything is sold out everywhere. I guess the pandemic is making everyone build computers haha. But rest assured I’m looking for a decent one. I want an x series.