Out with the Old, In with the New

nightelite

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Well, my computer has been giving me more and more bad problems lately, I finally decided it's time.

The old system I had started it's life as a workstation before I got it. I HATE Dells but if it wasn't giving me so many issues it'd probably last longer. My hard drives, DVD drives, LCDs, and TV tuner will be transferred.

Old:
Dell Precision WorkStation 670 case
Cheap lousy dell 500 watt PSU
Dell Mobo 0Y9655 (Intel E7525, Intel 82801EB ICH5)
2 separate Intel Xeon 3.4 CPUs (Irwindale 90nm, single core hyperthreaded)
4 GB DDR2 PC2-3200 Infineon Memory
Started with an Nvidia Quadro FX 4500, have two for sale now :), ended with an overclocked Nvidia 8800GT for gaming.

New:
Silverstone FT01BW Case
Nexus RX-8500 PSU
ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 mobo
Intel i7 920 w/ TRUE heatsink w/ Arctic Silver 5
mushkin 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 Model 998659
Nvidia GX 260 (55nm, 216 core)

Hmm don't think I left anything out...I wonder how much performance difference I'll notice :sweat:

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
You will have a huge performance boost.

So what are your primary uses for this computer? If you aren't a gamer then you don't need that GPU, if you are then you might need a better one depending on the size of your monitor.

xthekidx

Splendid
Dec 24, 2008
That case you chose is pretty nice, but depending on your priorities you can do better for cheaper. Have you looked at the CoolerMaster Cosmos cases? They are quiet and a bit cheaper.

I don't know anything about that PSU...so unless you found from a reputable source that it is high quality, I would suggest you get a different one. A Corsair 650tx would probably be plenty for your system.

nightelite

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
I do a lot of multitasking on my computers, ie, movie playing at the same time as the internet and a couple word docs/excel/photoshop. I do some gaming but not a lot. I have a 24" widescreen and a 20" as a secondary monitor. I'm not that worried about the card as it is more powerful than the 8800gt I was using and I didn't run into any problems with that even at 1920 x 1200 res. Of course I'm not one that cares about things such as water reflection, extreme shadows, etc. either. Sometimes I even reduce the quality and watch a movie while playing, lol. I bore easily.

The case I want to last 10+ years, probably the most important part for me so worth the extra cost. It was basically between Lian Li and Silverstone only, though the Coolmaster ATCS was briefly considered until I learned how huge it was.

PSU is great from what I found on it. First heard about it from endpcnoise.com as I was briefly considering a silent pc. So it's silent, modular, good reviews from the few who looked at it (it just came out). http://www.pcshoptalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8823&garpg=5 Or the overly emphasizing man: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hrrCpJpDtk&eurl=http://www.3dgameman.com/content/view/14707/103/&feature=player_embedded

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005

I would've gone with the FT01b model, I hate 'bling' and love silence. The extra sound insulation is worth a few DBs... But that's me.

I can not find that PSU on any site that I'd trust, so can't comment. I hear good things about the PCP&C 'silencer' series, but not available in AUS. The Antec Neo units are pretty quiet, but for my current build I went with the seasonic m12 700. Jonnyguru rated it down on looks, so that was just fine by me!

You might find that getting several more cp05 HDD hot swap adapters comes in handy, as then you don't need to open up the right side case to play with drives.

nightelite

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
Oh good question, maybe I don't play around with storage enough anymore, but I haven't found a reason to hot swap drives for about 8 years now. With two in 500gb in raid 0 and a backup at 1Tb I don't really need to especially since I don't transfer data between computers or anything. Am I understanding the function of the cp05 hot swap adapters right or is there something I'm missing??

Yeah, johnnyguru just links to one of the reviews I linked here already on the Nexus.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
I tend to test OS's, beta software etc., so I find myself swapping out HDDs frequently. right now, maintaining an XP Pro drive, and testing Win 7. So I tend to install drives several times a week. I don't need the 'hot swap' function really, I always shut down the PC prior to removing / installing a drive, but it just saves me the step of removing the right side side panel to access the power and SATA cables.

As to PSU's, I'd look further. PCP&C silencer series, Corsair, Antec Neo series, or Seasonic m12 / m12d series.

What are you going to with that old Dell? You know that PSU could drive an arc welder, and that those Xeons in a database app would eat an i7's lunch, right?

nightelite

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2009
The dell will probably in up in a surplus pile somewhere at my work where I originally bought it for next to nothing. It replaces all computers every 2-3 years so it has no need for this and, as I don't do stuff like is at home, I don't need it. I am selling the original Nvidia card but processors and such are sometimes too hard to mess with. Beside the PSU can bearly run the system anymore, I think they tried to under do it with this model, I removed it and it's 500w.

I'll stick with the psu but do some more research, I have yet to find one bad comment on it from anywhere and it's the most silent option for that wattage and 80+. I like Antec but their quiet options don't go close to that high that I saw on their website. PCP&C silencer comes close but the intake is on the back which the case supports a bottom intake best. I had to look up Corsair and Seasonic, Corsair is louder by almost 10db. Seasonic m12d comes close and is what I be looking closer at in the coming days before I put in my order.

I know where you're coming from though.

croc

Distinguished
BANNED
Sep 14, 2005
I come from Australia... We throw nothing away, nothing is 'surplus' until it is dead. And when it is dead, we re-invent it. I don't think you know where I am coming from.