Question Outdated bios update help

Feb 15, 2019
Okay, after i took my pc to a pc repair shop to see why my pc isnt working and they said it becuase your bios is outdated and your cpu is not compatible for that version of bios, there is no way i can access bios, the monitor says "no signal" so i cant update it manually so is there anyway i can update the bios without getting a new cpu?

Specs
Gigabyte ax 370
Ryzen 5 1600x

Feb 15, 2019
I have a cpu and it works perfectly but the repair shop said they didnt have the correct equipment to fix it, they told me to rent an older cpu compatible with the mobo then update the bios then put in my ryzen so its all up to date, but where or how can i rent a cpu thats compatible with my mobo, i thought i had to use some kind of flash drive

Supahos

Expert
Ambassador
Gpu fans should stop as they only run when hot enough to justify running. You cannot get signal from the motherboard so all troubleshooting should be done with the monitor plugged into the GPU.

I'd suggest using only 1 stick of ram in the slot mentioned in the motherboard manual. The cpu, CPU cooler and GPU, all outside of the case and see if it'll boot

Feb 15, 2019
Gpu fans should stop as they only run when hot enough to justify running. You cannot get signal from the motherboard so all troubleshooting should be done with the monitor plugged into the GPU.

I'd suggest using only 1 stick of ram in the slot mentioned in the motherboard manual. The cpu, CPU cooler and GPU, all outside of the case and see if it'll boot
Ive tried this already and still dont work unfortunately :/

Seeing as literally all CPUs require at least f3 I'm guessing it's at least f3 and most if not all shipped with f5+ as that caught the rest of the 1st gen stack

https://www.gigabyte.com/Ajax/SupportFunction/Getcpulist?Type=Product&Value=6167
Did the OP say that they have the GAMING 5?

GIGABYTE Motherboard ModelRyzen 5 1600X supported since BIOS Version
GA-AX370M-Gaming 3 (rev. 1.x)F1
GA-AX370-Gaming 3 (rev. 1.x)F1
GA-AX370M-DS3H (rev. 1.x)F1
GA-AX370-Gaming K7 (rev. 1.0)F3
GA-AX370-Gaming (rev. 1.x)F2
GA-AX370-Gaming K3 (rev. 1.0)F2
GA-AX370-Gaming K5 (rev. 1.x)F2
GA-AX370-Gaming 5 (rev. 1.0)F5

My motherboard is the gaming 5 which is f5 so that shouldn't be an issue with the ryzen correct?
BIOS Version F3 was the first BIOS Version shipped with that motherboard model. At this point you don't even know which BIOS Version is currently on the motherboard. If it's F3 or F4 then the BIOS doesn't have the AGESA needed to support the Ryzen 5 1600X.

Last edited:

dstln

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
My motherboard is the gaming 5 which is f5 so that shouldn't be an issue with the ryzen correct?

That chart says you need F5 bios version to run the 1600, so I'm assuming your motherboard doesn't have that. I thought AMD used to have a program where they could ship you a CPU to update the BIOS, then return it, but not sure if that's still going on.

Feb 15, 2019
BIOS Version F3 was the first BIOS Version shipped with that motherboard model. At this point you don't even know which BIOS Version is currently on the motherboard. If it's F3 or F4 then the BIOS doesn't have the AGESA needed to support the Ryzen 5 1600X.
Okay any way i could update it if its its outdated

Feb 15, 2019
That chart says you need F5 bios version to run the 1600, so I'm assuming your motherboard doesn't have that. I thought AMD used to have a program where they could ship you a CPU to update the BIOS, then return it, but not sure if that's still going on.
I got told about that method that AMD sends you a cpu so you can update bios but if its still going on id like to have a link to it, but if they have stopped, do you suggest any other ways that wont cost me a bomb?