Outdated Firmware Led to 4.5M Hacked DSL Modems

Status
Not open for further replies.

knightmike

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
I don't see an edit button. Otherwise I would delete my previous post. The answer to my question was in the first paragraph of the full article. They changed the DNS servers to direct users to malicious sites.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]knightmike[/nom]I don't see an edit button. Otherwise I would delete my previous post. The answer to my question was in the first paragraph of the full article. They changed the DNS servers to direct users to malicious sites.[/citation]

Under the RED "add your comment" button is a link to "Read the comments on the forums"

click it, find your message down at the end and there is an edit button there; apparently only until someone leaves a reply or vote on your original comment.

pacioli

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
I'm sorry, I got to the part where the the researchers name was Fabio As$olini and I couldn't keep reading the article because I fell out of my chair laughing...

Donsai

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
[citation][nom]pacioli[/nom]I'm sorry, I got to the part where the the researchers name was Fabio As$olini and I couldn't keep reading the article because I fell out of my chair laughing...[/citation]
This.

merikafyeah

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]Onihikage[/nom]This is why you never go with the modem your ISP gives you. (it's always a piece of junk anyway)[/citation]
People who receive digital home phone service and internet through their ISP modem cannot change their modems like people who receive only internet through their modem, and even then the market for decent third-party modems is slim. In fact, the only modem that comes to mind is the Motorola Surfboard. Do you know of any others?

Besides, the modem Comcast provided is more than enough for my connection tier (24mbit/s burst / 16mbit/s sustained). You only need a better modem when your connection tier exceeds 50mbit/s and that is not cheap in the US due to the cost of laying cable over our LARGE LAND AREA (hear that tiny, tiny countries of the world with cheap high-speed internet), and of course the ridiculous ISP monopolies that plague almost all residential areas may also have something to do with the jacked service fees, but that's another battle.

I'm still one of the lucky ones to even have decent internet and even more so to be one of the few to not have any real bad experiences with Comcast (shocking I know). My only wish is that someday my upload speed will match my download speed. Seriously, sending large files takes forever, but at least the connection is extremely stable. Never had a dropout or excessive latencies before *knock on wood*.

To all the Canadians and Australians of the internet, my deepest condolences.

Donsai

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
[citation][nom]merikafyeah[/nom]To all the Canadians and Australians of the internet, my deepest condolences.[/citation]
Australia's not so bad for broadband. They have a national plan to get FTTP to 93% of the population by 2021.

Status
Not open for further replies.