Question Outdoor weatherproof box for cat6

ingeborgdot

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
I am running Cat6 cable out to a shop with a run of 260 ft. I will be running direct burial cable inside of conduit. My question is about what kind of box I can use to tie into on the side of the buildings to get the Cat6 cable into the buildings. I have not used a box before, but it will really be needed for several reasons. Can anyone point me in the right direction for the things I will need to make this work properly? Thanks so much.

You would use normal waterproof electrical boxes. I guess it depends on why you need a box. The tricky part is sealing the box to the wall or cutting into the wall if you are going to use a recessed one.

What tends to be easier and the method used by ISP for their cables is to just drill though the outside wall and then fill any gaps with a silicon based sealant.

ingeborgdot

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2007
My biggest issue is coming up from the conduit, and sealing that I suppose. Are there pieces that fit on conduit that seal the conduit?
I guess I could use the weatherproof electrical box, and run a short tube from the back of the box into the building. Then seal the hole from the tube. If that makes sense.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Yup, according to the size of your conduit, select a weatherproof box (generally made of grey PVC) . Normally would use a "PVC 90" or can use a "conduit body" (as Home Depot calls them) to come up to the box. I suggest using a box that already has the fitting hole pointing to the back. They make some that just is a hole (threaded or slip), but I suggest getting the one that actually had a 'nipple' as it were that protrudes off the back. According to your sealing surface I typically use some silicone caulk or the like to protect the back side against the siding from weather getting in.

As a side note on this as you mentioned "several reasons" , don't run CAT cable in parallel with power/romex as it can cause issues.